new cam, smelling fuel from exhaust, dyno tune ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Exclamation new cam, smelling fuel from exhaust, dyno tune ???

recently bought a 02 camaro ss, smoke coming out of the exhaust you can really smell the burnt fuel, its alotta fuel. so my question is does the car need a dyno tune ? or is it something else ... plus when running then stopping at a red light, the rpm takes like 10 seconds to drop down to normal rpm, why is this ?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Overdrive Member

If the car hasn't been tuned and it has an aftermarket cam in it you could have a little problem on your hands. Define "smoke" coming out the exhaust? Is it black smoke like the car is running rich or there's unburnt fuel in the exhaust, is it blue, is it white? Have you confirmed all the plugs and wires are ok and all cylinders are firing?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM

cylinders and plugs are A-okay
the smoke is white and you can smell the fuel .. its unburnt fuel .. the guy i got it from told me it has a new aftermarket cam and it needs to be tuned on the dyno, is that true?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Overdrive Member

If it has an aftermarket cam and it hasn't been tuned it needs to be, but white smoke is typically indicative of water getting into your exhaust, for instance if you have a leaking head gasket. You could get the car tuned and see if it fixes your problem, but let's hope your new purchase doesn't have more problems than the previous owner told you.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

yeah man, its definately unburnt fuel .. everywhere i park people tell me why do i smell fuel from you car, im guessing it needs to be tuned, no ?
when i got it it was very low (actually there might have been no oil cuz it was leaking)
so long story short engine broke ,, replaced cylinder, crank and other parts) that cost alot of money, now there is no leak everything is good but im kinda afraid to race the god damn car! damn,
so what about the rpm taking some time to go down when i pull up to a red light?
thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Once again, if you have aftermarket parts in the car and it hasn't been tuned yet you need to get that taken care of. If the computer is confused about the mixture in general, causing the car to run rich, it could be confused about how fast it needs to take away fuel etc. when you're at idle. A full dyno tune at a reputable shop is going to be your best bet, but if you don't have anything around you that's easily accessable you can contact www.pcmforless.com and give them the specs on your car and they will be able to send you a reprogrammed PCM for your specific application.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

what are the cam specs? with larger cams you will never get rid of the fuel smell. just the nature of the mod

Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM

thats the problem ! the guy doesnt know the cam specs! will that be a problem at the dyno?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, it would be a problem if you were going for a PCMforLess tune because they'll need to know that information to get you tuned right. At the dyno they should have a wide band O2 so they can monitor your air-fuel ratio. Did the guy you bought it from have the receipt for the cam?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM

no, the guy i got it from was a middle man (small dealership), the owner i didnt see and he is out the country , and yeah im going to the dyno shop...

Quick Reply: new cam, smelling fuel from exhaust, dyno tune ???