new batteries keep dieing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new batteries keep dieing

Bought a new battery from wal mart and had to take it back just hours later when my car stalled on me twice. Had autozone guy come out and check both the battery and the alternator, came back as the battery is "close to end of life" I took the battery back to wal mart and got a different one. Now this battery is acting up and my alarm only chirps once when after i put a new battery it chirped twice.
This morning battery was almost dead and barely got the car started, when im driving and have my radio playing and the a/c on i watch the volt meter sometimes below 13, then i have to shut down all accessories to get the battery back up to charge.
I checked the vehicle for any lights staying on after and i dont see any, however this problem keeps killing my brand new batteries.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Possibly a bad alternator. I'd get a good battery from Autozone instead of the junk ones at Walmart.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you lose one diode in the alternator it will charge at 1/2 capacity. wont get a light. couldnt be walymart's great quality products,,, right.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

autozone batteries, so your saying valuecraft vs a everlast, valuecraft being better? lol cant really afford a duralast. however alternator was tested and came back as good, but im thinking its probably the alternator anyways. I will get a new alternator and see if thats the problem. thanks for the replys and help btw my car passed smog here in phoenix, it failed the first time but its all fixed.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I got a Duralast Gold Top for my car and it's been great. I think it was $89.99

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no oil on the belt right? had my power steering pump go and leaked a small amount of fluid on the belt, it wasnt charging to good. lol.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bad diode will only charge a lil and might drain your battery when off. It happened to me and autozone and kragens said the alt was good.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

yup its doing this to me too carnage, draining the battery even when the car is off, and yeah the alt tested good, but like I said I now believe it is the alternator for sure.
@craby nope, no oil on the belt, belt is dry.

thinking a duralast reman. for $124, i might have to wait a week argggg.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can get a alternator at Oreilly's or AutoZone for $100 with a lifetime warranty.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear member

If the alternator doesn't fix your problem, you should look at the alarm. Some alarms, have a zener diodes in them that act as a voltage regulator to power some low voltage circuits (like the alarm's keyfob receiver) and can go bad as well and put a pretty good draw on the battery when the car is shut off. No lights, or other indications other than a dead battery.
When I got my car, the battery would be dead in the morning, and the alternator had just been replaced (AC-Delco brand). Took me a few days to get it figured out, but once I de-installed the alarm, problem solved.

Quick Reply: new batteries keep dieing