need a mechanics help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default need a mechanics help ASAP

im looking to buy a car but it has something wrong with it i was told it was this.

I had the engine read and it said it had a genaric missfire. And according to the guy at pepboys it is possibly causing gas to overfill in one or two cylenders with is then beeing pushed thrue into the oil. So basicaly I have to keep changing the oil to keep getting the gas out of it. So I was told the problem could be as simple as clogged fuel injectors or bad rings.

does anyone know if this sounds legit or is he just lieing i can get the car for 1200 it is a 99 with a 3.8l and a manual trans also has 208xxx miles

Old 06-16-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

here is a picture

Attached Thumbnails need a mechanics help ASAP-5na5k45j53ec3i53h7c6fcd321231c2851362.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM
4th Gear Member

What are the codes that were pulled?

I've never heard of a clogged fuel injector causing fuel to get into the oil. Actually, I've never heard of fuel getting into the oil short of someone putting it into the oil. What color is the oil? Is it a milky brown? If that's the case, you've got a blown head gasket, which wouldn't surprise me with 200k miles.

A misfire is only gonna be a short list of things. All your basic ignition parts (spark plugs, wires, coils) can cause a misfire. O2's in some cases have caused them. I suppose a partially clogged injector could cause a misfire.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

well i havent looked at the car yet i will be monday. i asked for the codes and he said that his step dad had a machine and did it but he didnt know the codes. also the stuff he is saying could be wrong with it is from a mechanic at pep boys. after talking to the guy more i now can get the car for $1000. he has been trying to sell the car for arou 4 to 6 mothes and the price started out in the 2500 dolar range which is prolly y it isnt selling. the guy told me the car can be drove if you keep changing the oil

Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM
4th Gear Member

I'd get the codes first before committing to the buy. How's the interior/exterior? For a grand, assuming the rest of the car is good, it'd be a steal. If the engine does turn out to be bad, you can find a good one at a salvage yard for about $800 or depending on how bad the current engine is you could rebuild it if it's not too to bad. I'd get more info on the car before you buy it.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

im going to get more info monday but me and my dad think it would be a good deal either way. if we did have to put a motor in we would do it ourself so it would just be motor cost. he said everything is good interior exterior and trans it just need a windsheild

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear member

A stuck open injector could cause the cylinder to over fuel and get into the crankcase. With that many miles its entirely possible.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Z's
A stuck open injector could cause the cylinder to over fuel and get into the crankcase. With that many miles its entirely possible.
would i need to repace the whole motor or just an injector

Old 06-17-2012, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

does anyone have a picture of where the injectors are located

Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mp734
would i need to repace the whole motor or just an injector
Find out the computers codes first. Based on what you said about the Pep Boys diagnosis (Generic Misfire).... and the fuel getting into the crank case, my guess is its an ignition or fueling issue. If the engine doesnt knock or blow blue smoke and has decent compression, then you might be able to get by without buying an engine and just fixing what is broken. Aside from an injector or ignition issue , it could be a bad intake gasket maybe. Lots of variables here. You need to methodically eliminate each possibility by testing. "Guessing" is only going to cost you more money in the end. If you dont have the tools or know how, I suggest taking it to a competent shop for a diagnosis.

Quick Reply: need a mechanics help ASAP