Need Help w/ picking my 1st car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Default Need Help w/ picking my 1st car

Hey, i just recently made a deal with a person off of craigslist who is selling his 1996 v6 3.4 camaro and since im young and new to the mechanics of cars, i simpily dont know what to look for when i go to inspect the car. Im really not trying to get ripped off on my very first car and i would very much appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers on how to see if the car is too good to be true. So if you have any advice, please post ASAP...
Thanks..

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it's a '96, it's not a 3.4L V6. 96 and newer came with 3.8L, stock. That should red flag right there, if anything.

Aside from that, do look for a 3.8 if you can hack it, or perhaps consider a nice 3rd-gen IROC-Z or Z28

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the 3.4 l is alright i personally having the 3.8 love leaving the gt mustangs in the dust but, you should look at the trire tread left you can grab a penny put abe's head upside down in the tread and if you can see his hair it doesn't have that much tread left, also listen for any ticking/clanking noises from the engine. or any other strange noises goin on around the car, make sure when you drive it the trans shifts smoothly, check all the fluids, make sure the oil isn't a coffee color, that usually mean the engin is blown or will be soon, check the break pad life left, any little think you can think of that could cost you money you don't want to spend. also make sure the break pedal doesn't bounce, check the rotors make sure they aren't cracked or warped, turn the wheel back and forth make sure there is no scraping noises or i guess clanking noises, you always want to play it safe, check the exhaust for holes or rusted cracks, look at the frame to make sure it's not rusted out although it shouldn't be. thats pretty much all you need to know tho. sorry if i repeated myself lol

like i said the 3.8 is better for a little more power but not too much a first time driver can't handle.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tonylig928
the 3.4 l is alright i personally having the 3.8 love leaving the gt mustangs in the dust.
um...i'm guessing you barely outrun mid 90's gt mustangs, if that. unless, of course, you have mods.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i had mods. but not that many, either i'm a really good driver or the kids suck at driving around here, i don't race anymore since 2 of my friends got killed and another was in a coma. i sold the modded 3.8 car and bought a stock one because i wanted to work on something again. but I'm looking around to mod this car and start up again racing legit.