82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Need some help picking out cam.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need some help picking out cam.

Hello everyone. My 305 spun a bearing so i am going to build a 350 to replace it with. I am going to build the bottom end so it will be able to handle a supercharger if i decide to get one later on. I plan on using vortec heads and a mild cam. I just have no clue when it comes to cam specs, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Well I'm m aiming to get anywhere between 350-400hp in the end before the supercharger. I would also like it to have that lopey idle sound, and i don't mind too much about gas consumption. I also want to stick with the hydraulic flat tappet lifters.

If anybody can give me some information on what cam would be best for my application, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pick a cam company, call the 800 number and ask a tech. They know more about their products than any of us do. They already have made the mistakes that you and the rest of us have or will make. It's hard to beat a person at their own business. Have a list of mods. and future mods. ready before you make the call. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Before you think about swapping engines, it's going to cost far more than you expect it to, it's going to take far longer than you'd like, and you're going to run into issues every time you turn around. It's a huge amount of work even for an engine that is externally identical to the 305.

Here, you can read through my thread if you want.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/v8-te...50-swap-56262/

Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
Before you think about swapping engines, it's going to cost far more than you expect it to, it's going to take far longer than you'd like, and you're going to run into issues every time you turn around. It's a huge amount of work even for an engine that is externally identical to the 305.

Here, you can read through my thread if you want.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/v8-te...50-swap-56262/

For sure engine swaps take some time and money, but your experience was out of the norm. The best advice I have is to repeat what another poster said....ask the cam company.

Also, keep in mind reality vs. want. Just go through these threads and you'll see lots of dreamers. Are you really prepared for a fully forged rotating assembly for your 3k+ blower, plus a built trans, rear, and tied up subframes. Your dream doesn't sound all that realistic to me.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
For sure engine swaps take some time and money, but your experience was out of the norm. The best advice I have is to repeat what another poster said....ask the cam company.

Also, keep in mind reality vs. want. Just go through these threads and you'll see lots of dreamers. Are you really prepared for a fully forged rotating assembly for your 3k+ blower, plus a built trans, rear, and tied up subframes. Your dream doesn't sound all that realistic to me.
Im going for about 400hp with cam and vortec heads. I figured i may as well do it right while i have the car apart. I'm looking to spend about $3,000 at most on rebuilding the engine. The trans is rebuilt and ready to go, now i just gotta pick up the engine and start the teardown.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

It still sounds a lot more like a dream than a reality. Did you build the trans for the HP you want after forced induction? The rear as well? 3K for a fully forged rotating assemby (crank, rods, pistons at a low compression for forced induction), blower type manifold, cam, and heads will most likely not make it. I don't think vortec is the way to go if you are looking for that much HP. Others will be able to help you on the head route, but it may be a lot easier going with a better head to ensure you will get the flow needed when using the blower.

I'm not sure if I asked you yet, but do you have emissions testing?