Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Default Need Help!

I gotmy first car it is a 1997V8 5.7L LT1. i dont know much about it and I was wondering if any one couldgive me a little more info on it?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Need Help!

are you having problems with it?
with no info, the first thing to watch out for is not to get the optispark wet. that basically ruins them and u need to buy a new one. also the coolant travel is reversed as opposed to most motors, so the water pump is powered by a spindle on the block (possibly getting power from the timing chain but im not sure about that) as opposed to getting power from the accessory belts.

other than that you can treat it just about like you can any other motor.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM

No i am not having problems with it except putting it in second gear. i just want to know more about the car. I want to get a new exhaust but I dont know which would be best.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Ninja Administrator

here in the 4th gen section there is a thread in the stickes called basic modifications tech. go check that out, then post any more specific questions here and well be able to help you out. there is really just too much to talk about to do a "tell me about this car" thread. the thread i mentioned is onlyr eally just bolton performance lol, and its pretty long.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Overdrive Member

If you want to know a little more about your motor check out the "LT1 Tech and FAQ" thread stickied at the top of the LT1 section.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear member

is it a stick? if thats the case your problem comes from CAGS, GMs way to save on fuel economy... you can A. learn to live with it, or B get rid of it with a CAGS eliminator (i never did this because it ruins the lockout, so you can be going in 6th gear and accidentally move it to reverse instead of 5th)

all you need to do is go slow enough, go up to ~2700rpm and shift, or shift from first to fourth and then back to second.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

with no info, the first thing to watch out for is not to get the optispark wet. that basically ruins them and u need to buy a new one. also the coolant travel is reversed as opposed to most motors, so the water pump is powered by a spindle on the block (possibly getting power from the timing chain but im not sure about that) as opposed to getting power from the accessory belts.

Actually it's driven off of the cam but you're doing great. Continue!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: baseballer91

is it a stick? if thats the case your problem comes from CAGS, GMs way to save on fuel economy... you can A. learn to live with it, or B get rid of it with a CAGS eliminator (i never did this because it ruins the lockout, so you can be going in 6th gear and accidentally move it to reverse instead of 5th)

all you need to do is go slow enough, go up to ~2700rpm and shift, or shift from first to fourth and then back to second.
it doesnt remove reverse lockout. that is a separate solenoid. i have a skip shift emilinator on my car an still get locked out of reverse

Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: LT1RUNNER

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

Actually it's driven off of the cam but you're doing great. Continue!
timing chain powers the cam

but in any effect i still didnt know the exact setup, i guess the spindle actually inserts into the end of the cam then?