Need a hand

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Exclamation Need a hand

Hi all fellow camaro enthusiast, i have a 95 Z28 with a repetitive problem. I can drive it so-say 30-45 minutes and it will drive normal, but afterwards idk if its something that gets hot after the engines been running for so long or what, But it will start to surge when it goes into overdrive around 45-55 while i give it a steady throttle. But when you give it more throttle itll clear itself out ,And it will do this as your cruising along for the rest of the time being. But i can o next morning, Drive it, nothing. Im Thinking vacuum leak. But why would it only do it after so long?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 AM
4th Gear Member

Does it happen to feel like it's a shutter coming from the tranny? I know mine does that sometimes when I'm going up a hill and it's trying to downshift. It'll stop doing it if it I give it more throttle which in turn you feel it drop a gear or if I manually drop it into 3rd.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 AM

i dont know if its coming from the trans, although when i give it more throttle i do believe it does down-shift.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM

im just at a loss. i cant figure out where to start

Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Go to trans shop and get a thing of red lubeguard. Put it in. See if it helps. If its not your trans, it could be ignition.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
4th Gear Member

RPM's- at what rpm does it occur? Then, set the selector to 2nd gear and run at that rpm, does it surge?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You engine is just a huge hunk of cast iron. It will take about 20 minutes to reach full operating temps. There are many thing that will continue to heat up after the motor itself reachs full temp. Sometimes a bad failing connector can build more resistance as it get heat soaked. Even a bad wire or a sensor itself.

Seeing transmission only act up after a half an hour is very common. There are a lot of things that can cause a syptom like you described. Just a shot in the dark but watch your speedometer when the issue happens. See if the needle jumps at all. This can cause the torque converter clutch to engage and disengage as the needle bounces. Under load the TCC will not engage so under load the issue would seem to "go away".

Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Thank you greg08 i will try that. Torque-is-good next time i go out on a trip i will make a note and see and get back to you on it. And gorn thanks for the explanation, and also i have looked at it when it does do it. The needle bounces up and down until you accelerate and it clears out. Which i do believe in turn kicks it down a gear as it happens.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prostreet30
Thank you greg08 i will try that. Torque-is-good next time i go out on a trip i will make a note and see and get back to you on it. And gorn thanks for the explanation, and also i have looked at it when it does do it. The needle bounces up and down until you accelerate and it clears out. Which i do believe in turn kicks it down a gear as it happens.
you are on the right track to see if it's engine or tranny.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A failing speed sensor can cause the issue along with a failing harness.

Quick Reply: Need a hand