My latest money coffin.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Talking My latest money coffin.

So the last project I was working on fell through due to moving.

(My '74 Nova)

Name:  IMG_20110212_120519.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.5 KB
So now that I'm moved, got through my new temp. job, got on full time and only having about a grand to work with for a new project. I decided to go with something that didn't require so much attention that i could enjoy off the bat. Granted it needs a ton of work. lol But hey...it runs.

Name:  camaro1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  8.3 KBName:  camaro3.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  7.5 KB
Name:  camaro4.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  9.3 KBName:  camaro2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  7.6 KB

Bought it for $900 yesterday. Rotors need turned. (They're a little warped.) No high beams and the blinkers stick. Needs the interior gutted and replaced. Also soon the windshield as well. Not sure if the car was rolled but it's been through a deer.

So in any case. This is going to be an easy project. (So long as I start getting a lot of overtime after the next 5 weeks.)

Figured I'd start by looking for another power plant for it. (Its a 3.4L with Auto) Just not sure yet. Also got a friend of mine that does body and paint so I'm still thinking about the color. Need to fix the black primer one on the drivers side. They cracked it when fixing the driver's door.

All in all the first thing I'll be doing is getting insurance on it in two weeks then the brakes turned. I got it hiding in the back from the road from the neighbors and cops with old plates on it so they can't see if its tagged for this year.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

looks like a nice car for a project but changing the motor is a very expensive and labor intensive job i dont suggest that

Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Not bad. Almost as good a deal as i got on mine. I've got to agree though, a motor swap is not really worth the cost. Beyond that, we've got about the same car, except mine is a five speed and all one color, but still needs a repaint.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear member

I probably wouldn't have paid $900 for that. Guess that is why they call it a project!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
looks like a nice car for a project but changing the motor is a very expensive and labor intensive job i dont suggest that
So I've been reading the last hour or so...I thought since it was the same body it really wouldn't take much. Kind of disappointing.

I'll figure something out...anyone ever tried putting a 3.8L turbo out of a Grand National in one? (starts google search)

Originally Posted by jnb0111
Not bad. Almost as good a deal as i got on mine. I've got to agree though, a motor swap is not really worth the cost. Beyond that, we've got about the same car, except mine is a five speed and all one color, but still needs a repaint.
Thanks. Yeah I know but I can't help but think of trying. I mean I like it right now. Don't get me wrong. But I always try to be different then the next one that comes along. Anything worth doing isn't ever easy or cheap. Especially when you don't have the money to trade it in for a V8. So I suppose I'll start looking for bolt-ons after I get the main parts that I want repaired. The color box look can hold off for a bit. So long as it don't rust I'm not worried.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 AM

My first two 94s were under $1000 and both had over 200,000 miles, never had any issues. Perfect for a daily driver project, looks like a great start.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks, the only thing I've done to it so far was a new gas cap. Waiting to see my next check is going to be like and redo the breaks.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if i can nose in, how much were they actually asking for it? I'm looking for a project too, and just trying to learn the market!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 AM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Not a bad pick up for the money. I remember my first project car is my 88 maro that I got for $400. All it needed was a fuel pump

Old 08-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by bricooper78
if i can nose in, how much were they actually asking for it? I'm looking for a project too, and just trying to learn the market!
He was wanting what he he bought it for and it was $1k. I first offered 850 just because it had brand new tires and a mp3,cd,ipod head unit but he wouldnt do it so I said 900 and thats it. lol

Originally Posted by 305_camaro
Not a bad pick up for the money. I remember my first project car is my 88 maro that I got for $400. All it needed was a fuel pump
Thanks, just got the plates and sticker today. Been running round....not too sure i like the transmission all that much....kind of miss driving a stick.

Last edited by Trim; 08-13-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add something. you forget i forget it happens all the time

Quick Reply: My latest money coffin.