is it my cluch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default is it my cluch?

hey guys, i have a 94 z28 with a 6-speed and the car runs great around town but once i get on the highway and get it into 5th gear, if i step on the accelerator too fast the RPM's go up but my speed doesnt, and i can feel the car chattering when it does this. but if i slowly ease into it, it has all the power it should. thanks guys

Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default RE: is it my cluch?

Sounds like it to me.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what brand of clutch would u recommend i buy? i really dont want to spend more than $500 on a clutch kit. Ive already put close to 1800 into the car, cuz i ahd the infamous security light no start issue, and some cooling fan mishaps.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

if the motor is basically stock, use a stock replacement clutch, it will do just fine in that application. If you have a modded motor you can look at a Ram Clutch or a Centerforce clutch.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

a wierd thing happened today, while i was crusing on the freeway in 5th gear, i felt a click from the engine and my check engine light came on,but it wasnt running any different. but i did notice while the check engine lightwas on, i couldpunch it as hard as i wanted andthe car didnt just sit there and shake, itactually went. so im not so sure its my clutch, any ideas?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

o yeah forgot to mention, the check engine light went off right after i came to a complete stop.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

describe the click, like the AC unit click or like the electric fans click.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: 94 z28

a weird thing happened today, while i was crusing on the freeway in 5th gear, i felt a click from the engine and my check engine light came on,but it wasnt running any different. but i did notice while the check engine lightwas on, i couldpunch it as hard as i wanted andthe car didnt just sit there and shake, itactually went. so im not so sure its my clutch, any ideas?
Apparently the car went into open loop mode when the lite came on. Being that the car ran better in open loop, it suggests that some sensor/s are/is bad. Considering the age of the car, it may be a good idea to replace all of them, especially the O2 sensors, and the coolant temp and intake air temp sensors, and gently clean the MAF. You also may want to change plugs and wires, and if you do, use OEM AC Delco plugs.

You previously mentioned that when you stomped on it in fifth the RPM went up but the speed did not change. This is a clear indication of a bad clutch, so you have 2 conflicting things happening. I really think what you were getting before was some serious misfires, and I would do a tune up before going for the clutch.