My Camaro is Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Default My Camaro is Over heating

Hi story is i bought a Camaro and the same day the thermostat got clogged and changed it. Everything worked fine until 3-4 days later i was driving the car got a phone call so i parked the car in the street and turned the engine off. 30 seconds later nothing but white smoke came rushing out the hood!! Scared the **** out of me but in the end the car started to over heat again!! i took it home slowly and tryed looking around but nothing no dent or hole or anything to my knowledge. so i decieded to take it to a firestone service center the did a coolant pressure check and found a hole in the upper radiator tube and they couldnt finish the test unless it was fixed they charged $40 bucks for the hose and $60 for labor, i told them their stupid when to a auto zone got the tube for $10 bucks and 2 rings for $5 did it myself. After i took it for a ride thinking it was fine until i was in thrid gear then took it to fourth n notice a red light popped up!! it was check gages light n the car was over heating still!!! So does anyone know what i should do??

Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is you fan turning on? Does it over heat at highway speeds?Run another pressure test. You can borrow the tool from autozone.

Possible issues:
Fan not turning on
System not bled correctly
System will not hold pressure
You got a bad thermostat
You rad is pluged and will not allow enough flow (will need flushed or replaced)
Blown head gasket

Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 AM
4th Gear Member

If the thermo was clogged as you say in your post, you might as well remove the radiator and have it professionally cleaned or replace it.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did u bleed the air out of the system?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Cleaning the radiator is a waste of time just better off swaping it out for a new one. But he is right if you had that much build up to clog your thermostat i can guess how your radiator looks.

Air pockets can also do the same thing make sure you dont have any air in the system and the overflow and radiator both are at the correct level.

It does not sound you have a blown head gasket however drive it hot a few times and you will pop it.

What engine is in this car.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Oh, one more thing about the price places charge to repair a vehicle. It is hard to get a vehicle in and out of a shop for less than a $100 no matter what is wrong with it but those shops have some very good equipment to diagnose and repair with and those items don't come cheap. I buy a manual for each vehicle I own, when things start going wrong, I read the manual to see if it is a task I want to repair or if it is to labor intensive. If I don't have the right tool, I check the price of the tool and decide if I want to invest in it or pay to have someone else do it. It is amazing how over time, one can build up a pretty good tool box! That and a good floor jack with some jack stands will allow you to do alot of repairs yourself. I have found that if you check around, you will learn the right place for your location to go for repairs. If you use that shop on a regular basis, build a relationship, alot of things will come cheaper.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM

the car is a 5.7L V8 and yesterday night i opened the hood up and took off the radiator cap and let it run for about 5 minutes maybe a lil less should i have let it run for more? also the fans are fine no problem with them they turn on but i was wondering if a lower thermostat would be better so the fans turn on earlier??

Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Adrian'sCamaro36
the car is a 5.7L V8 and yesterday night i opened the hood up and took off the radiator cap and let it run for about 5 minutes maybe a lil less should i have let it run for more? also the fans are fine no problem with them they turn on but i was wondering if a lower thermostat would be better so the fans turn on earlier??
Running a cooler thermostat won't make the fans come on earlier. When the fans kick on has to be programmed in the ECU.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are little bleeder screws. should be one on the thermostate cover housing, one on the radiator hose on the pasinger side by the alternator and one under the tb.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM

well i took the water pump off and i noticed that the whole thermostat was completely ripped off and n the thermostat was never to be found n when i changed and put a new water pump n thermostat that car started to work fine. thank you for everyones help!!

Quick Reply: My Camaro is Over heating