My 97 Convertible rebuild or so call rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Thumbs up My 97 Convertible rebuild or so call rebuild

Well i got the car for 300 bucks it has a 3.8 v6 and the 3.08 rearend also 4 speed auto. The top is in perfect condition and the interior to other than putting in new carpet. The engine runs and is strong.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM

Update i went to junk yard around here called Pull a Part. And i hit the mother load i got my front bumper plus the support piece inside bumper with driving lights. Plus the Hood and alot of misc. stuff too. Im going back Saturday and hopefully i can get the exhaust too, it was brand new even the weld where it was put on isn't rusted..WFM

Picture of the car peeled parts from

My parts...oh ya did ya notice yes it is the same color......

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Looks like a good project. A bargain for $300 with a strong engine. You will have to keep updating with pics!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks like a great project. A little bad news for ya. It looks like your top has shrank a bit. See how you can almost see the top of the passangers window. All the weather seal should be covered with 3/8" to spare. Its not a huge deal unless it starts driping on you. Also this can effect the door alignment. If there is shrinkage you will have to decide if you want the doors to align top up or top down. There is adjustments in the front clamps to make up for shrinkage but the more you back them off the more chance there is for a leak.

For those that do not believe the top can effect the body that much, even when the car was new all top adjust require a before and after door gap verification. With black tops shrinkage is almost always the reason for replacment unless the person ignores all the signs. I worked on a 94 one time the shrinkage was so bad the inner door pannel was scraping the door jam with the top up. No problem with the top down.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Update

Originally Posted by Gorn
Looks like a great project. A little bad news for ya. It looks like your top has shrank a bit. See how you can almost see the top of the passangers window. All the weather seal should be covered with 3/8" to spare. Its not a huge deal unless it starts driping on you. Also this can effect the door alignment. If there is shrinkage you will have to decide if you want the doors to align top up or top down. There is adjustments in the front clamps to make up for shrinkage but the more you back them off the more chance there is for a leak.

For those that do not believe the top can effect the body that much, even when the car was new all top adjust require a before and after door gap verification. With black tops shrinkage is almost always the reason for replacment unless the person ignores all the signs. I worked on a 94 one time the shrinkage was so bad the inner door pannel was scraping the door jam with the top up. No problem with the top down.

No top is fine..just the way picture looks..

Well i went back to the car i got the parts from. Nobody touched it!!!
So i took the wheels the exhaust which was brand new, Passager mirror and the belt moldings all parts are fine..just need to get center caps..
showed my friend and well now it is time to start sanding.....

Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a score getting the parts the right color etc! keep us updated

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear member

You are one lucky dude. A 97 convertible that runs for $300? Show *me* a deal like that! And then you find another convertible *of the same* color in a U-Pull-It and it has the parts you need? Play the lottery; it must be your lucky day.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nice looking ride. I love the color! lol I need a new front bumper and hood in that color as well. Good luck with the build.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 AM

Thanks All,
Here are some pictures of all the parts..
Its time to start working on the car..
P9120849.jpg?t=1284368317
P9120848.jpg?t=1284368317

Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'll re-buy the hood and front bumper from you for 50% more than what you paid

Quick Reply: My 97 Convertible rebuild or so call rebuild