My 1996 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Default My 1996 Camaro

The documentation and build my 1996 Camaro. If anyone has any input or can help answer any questions I might have, please feel free to post!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Default The Start

I recently just purchased this 1996 Camaro out of Indiana. I honestly do not know much about them as this is my 1st Camaro I have already run into some strange things and am really not sure about the information on this this car.

This car was titled in Indiana as being a Camaro/RS model, A free history report listed it as a Camaro Base/RS. After all the research I've done on the web, it doesn't seem to have any of the RS characteristics though.

Would appreciate any information or input on this. I will be ordering the dealer vehicle invoice on it soon but wanted to see if anybody might be able to tell me something before I can get around to doing it.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/Pictures/1996%20Camaro/1.JPG[/IMG]

Last edited by Jason1984; 12-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

RS basically means V6 it could have had the appearance package but was removed as for the paint is that the clear coat pealing??? its possible that the car was repainted im not sure about 96 but on my 94 the clear was pealing and the paint just looked like **** also my 95 blazer did that too both mystic teal

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM

My red 94 z28 has the clear coat peeling and it looks just basically like a white residue that for lack of better word, is peeling. On my spoiler in particular, there are scratches that are white I guess due to the clear coat going. If you'd like, I could take some pictures of it tomorrow to show you.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya that looks like a cheap crappy scuff and spray paint job they just hit the factory paint with a 3m pad and spray over it

Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro Base/RS

This means your car could be a base or an RS it was the easy way to say NOT a V8. in 96 the RS was an apperance package only and your car has none of the RS features. Your car is not an RS The only way to prove anything about your car is the trim tag and the paint codes. Even if your car was a "one off" paint code with out it being in its orginal condition it would have no effect on the value of the car. History has shown us rare options on base model cars mean nothing. Now if it was the only Teal LE1 from 96 you would have something.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you for the insight Gorn. Please do not take this the wrong way, as I am simply trying to understand here. It was the free car report that stated "Camaro Base/RS" the actual Title to the car says "Camaro/RS". Does that change anything IYO? On another forum I read a post from a guy saying he owned a 96 RS without most of the RS options as well. As to if it is true or not, I simply cannot say but here is the link 96 (?rs?) [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech His post is at the very bottom. Value simply doesn't mean much to me, I don't plan on parting with the car at anytime. I mainly would just like to learn and be accurate about the car I now own. I truly think the only way to know what the car really is, is to order the copy of the dealer vehicle invoice from GM Media Archive. It only runs $50 bucks and what is on that invoice, IMO would have to be the correct information. Thank you for your response, I do appreciate it!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Trying to figure out color codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

RPO Codes Broken Down for my Camaro

37Q- MOLDING COLOR DK BRIGHT TEAL MET (??????)
37U- EXTERIOR COLOR, PRIMARY (DARK BRIGHT TEAL METALLIC) (92) (???????)

BC/CC- EXTERIOR, BASE COAT / CLEAR COAT

WA-U146A- EXTERIOR, BRIGHT TEAL METALLIC (????????)

These are the codes, I just don't know if the colors are actually correct.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow there is a lot of good in and miss information in that post, People are getting the years messed up. In 96 the RS package was cosmedic only the performance V6 was a Y-87 package. The RS could be ordered with or without Y-87 and so could the base model.

If you set a 96 base non Y-87 camaro next to a RS non Y-87 the Only differents would be the ground effects the rear spoiler and the RS badges. In later year other stuff changed but 96 was the first year for the RS in the 4th gen and it is a very basic package. I am pretty sure my title list my car as a Camaro/RS and I think thats why people think they have RS. I think it is just a catch all since they use the same motor.

The 37 part of the code indicates Bright Teal metallic about 4,000 Camaros where painted that color. Why would the think the Color code is wrong?

Last edited by Gorn; 12-23-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Carfax report says your car is an RS, so I would put that one to bed: Carfax Info
As far as your previously mentioned concern about the mis-matched colors, did you stop to consider that maybe the car's been repainted more than once?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-23-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: My 1996 Camaro