Monsoon Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Monsoon Speakers Question

Before anyone suggests it, I promise I've done a search, and still have questions.

Well this pertains to a Trans Am, Not a Camaro. I've read that it matters.

If I buy some kicker speakers, and plug it right in, will it work? I want to keep the stock monsoon amp if possible, and just plug different speakers in. I've already put in a new head unit. But I've got 5 blown speakers and it's starting to wear on me.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How did you wire in the head unit? And stock head unit you'd need 2 ohm speakers. If you wired your aftermarket head unit in so it's using the low power output to the stock amps then you'd still need 2 ohm to work with the stock amps. If you wired in your aftermarket head unit to were it's feeding high output to the stock amps, then you probably blew the stock amps and the speakers. Let me know and I'll help you out.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
How did you wire in the head unit? And stock head unit you'd need 2 ohm speakers. If you wired your aftermarket head unit in so it's using the low power output to the stock amps then you'd still need 2 ohm to work with the stock amps. If you wired in your aftermarket head unit to were it's feeding high output to the stock amps, then you probably blew the stock amps and the speakers. Let me know and I'll help you out.
Is the ohms different on different years? When I replaced my window motors I looked at the back of my speakers (which were blown at the time, and still are) to see what I needed to replace them with. Both door speakers were 4ohms and I have the Monsoon Head Unit and Speaker System.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

I just wired it wire to wire.. No resistors or anything. Guess I screwed up. How do I remedy it? Run a new amp with all new wires to all new door speakers? I'm not good with ohms and everything, I replaced the head unit out of necessity, the volume **** broke.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Mikey.
I just wired it wire to wire.. No resistors or anything. Guess I screwed up. How do I remedy it? Run a new amp with all new wires to all new door speakers? I'm not good with ohms and everything, I replaced the head unit out of necessity, the volume **** broke.
Lol, I just went to the junkyard and pulled a **** off the exact radio. I'm still note quite sure why some cars have 4 ohm monsoon speakers and some have 2 ohm. What year is your car Mikey?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by luciora
Lol, I just went to the junkyard and pulled a **** off the exact radio. I'm still note quite sure why some cars have 4 ohm monsoon speakers and some have 2 ohm. What year is your car Mikey?
My car is a 97. I think the Monsoon systems for the Firebird's/Trans Am's were different than the ones for the Camaro's. Not sure though.

If I go with my own 4 channel amp, do you guys think under the seat would be a good spot, or should I just put it in the back?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by luciora
Is the ohms different on different years? When I replaced my window motors I looked at the back of my speakers (which were blown at the time, and still are) to see what I needed to replace them with. Both door speakers were 4ohms and I have the Monsoon Head Unit and Speaker System.
As far as I've seen, all the monsoon systems should have 2 ohm speakers, if someone replaced them with 4ohm speakers they wouldn't last very long. However I have seen some non-monsoon cars with a stock headunit with the monsoon logo on it, those had 4 ohm speakers. The coupel that I saw were early 4th gen.

Originally Posted by Mikey.
Well there's a couple ways you can solve this problem. 1) Get an adaptor to go from your head unit to the stock monsoon wiring. Or 2) Run speaker wires from your headunit to your speakers and cut out the stock wiring/amps. If you run your own wiring, then you can run your own amp that way. My expierence, you don't need an amp with a good head unit and quality speakers (high/mid range) for the average car. You're just blowing money if you do it as the gains are not worth the cost and labor. I just run some RF 3way mids and a stand alone tweeters off my kenwood head unit and it sounds great. You may think about added some passive crossovers or bass blockers or something like that. I run bass blockers which is like a inline resistor that keeps my speakers from getting any freqs under 80 hz I think, maybe 110 hz, I can't remember for sure now.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
As far as I've seen, all the monsoon systems should have 2 ohm speakers, if someone replaced them with 4ohm speakers they wouldn't last very long. However I have seen some non-monsoon cars with a stock headunit with the monsoon logo on it, those had 4 ohm speakers. The coupel that I saw were early 4th gen.

Well there's a couple ways you can solve this problem. 1) Get an adaptor to go from your head unit to the stock monsoon wiring. Or 2) Run speaker wires from your headunit to your speakers and cut out the stock wiring/amps. If you run your own wiring, then you can run your own amp that way. My expierence, you don't need an amp with a good head unit and quality speakers (high/mid range) for the average car. You're just blowing money if you do it as the gains are not worth the cost and labor. I just run some RF 3way mids and a stand alone tweeters off my kenwood head unit and it sounds great. You may think about added some passive crossovers or bass blockers or something like that. I run bass blockers which is like a inline resistor that keeps my speakers from getting any freqs under 80 hz I think, maybe 110 hz, I can't remember for sure now.
Do you really think it would sound okay without an amp? If so I might try that first, and run my own wires.

Do you know if taking the amp out completely would mess with anything?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you use just the head unit and run your own wires with your replacement speakers it will sound good. And if you do that then you don't need the stock amp. It would be easier to get the adapter because running wires in these cars suck.