Monsoon info?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Monsoon info?

I bought a project car a month or two ago and I just thought to look at the stereo because of another post. It says Monsoon right on the front of the radio. Anyone know where I can learn more about these systems. I am thinking I will just stick with it and if anything is wrong I will just fix it. The Radio is out of the car right now, I am thinking he pulled it to get the console out.

My guess is the system is either a transplant or it was replaced. This car is a 93 made to look like a 98+ SS clone. The manufacture date on the radio is 05\05\2000

It looks like the last owner had big plans he has some huge wires run but not hooked to anything. It looks like the orginal wiring is all still there. It does not look like the big wires where ever hooked up to anything. I like nice sound from a Stereo but I am not an ears bleeding kind of guy.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The stock Monsoon speakers are all 2 ohm, whereas most aftermarket ones are 4 ohm. So replacing the door speakers will do two things: 1) reduce the volume coming from those speakers which will 2) cause an imbalance in the front/rear soundfield. Also, there are actually 2 seperate speakers in each door, a tweeter and a mid, and they receive power from seperate sources. The mid receives power from the Monsoon amp, while the tweeter receives power from the head unit. Most aftermarket component speakers (two piece) are set up with a crossover box to receive power from a single source, but can run with independent sources like this. If you are trying to install a single replacement full range speaker, the only way I can really think of to do it and make it work would be to use the leads that went to the factory tweeter (the ones coming off the head unit) as I believe the leads for the mid (from the Monsoon amp) are filtered to provide only a limited audio range. However, I'm really not sure how this would sound, but if you are up for experimenting, you could try it.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

At this point I have no idea what works and what does not. Since the motor is spread all over the garage and the computer harness is all balled up in the engine compartment I can not even get into the rear hatch. (key does not work) It could be all in good working condition.
Anyone know the RPO code for the Monsoon system? I would like to know if it was factory or not. The 2000 manufacture date tells me it was atleast replaced but if it is not a factory install it could be a nightmare.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 AM
2nd Gear member

The earliest reference to a factory installed Monsoon system in a Camaro is for a 1998 model year car.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I finsh up my Tahoe project this weekend maybe I will get a chance to get power to the car and pop the hatch to see if the Stereo conversion is complete. Who ever built this car to look like a 98+ SS seems to know what he was doing. I think the whole interior was swapped. The only thing that was not converted was the dash.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default monsoon stereo

I have a 1996 Camaro that masquerades as a 2000 Z-28. When I did the swap I had a full donor car available. When I swapped engines, I had found it was easier to swap absolutely everything. The only things I didn't swap was the seats from the Z-28.
I found that my stock Bose speakers weren't interchangeable with my newfound Monsoon stereo. So I had to change every stitch of wiring, down to the amplifier and everything else. When absolutely everything was swapped it all worked fine.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

the monsoon system should consist of a speaker on each door, a speaker behind each pillar, and a speaker on each side of the trunk for a total of six speakers. i replaced the door speakers as they were blown with MTx's. stock the system is really good. probably all you need or want

Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is it made by delco or Bose?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

I think it is still delco.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Overdrive Member

The Monsoon system is made by Delco. The amp is decient as far as factory amps go. It puts out about 60W per channel. In my schematics I have for the 99 the tweeters are powered by the amp and they are limited to high range only. The door mids are full range and using that channel with after market speakers will sound fine. The rear seat speakers are for the subs. They are limited to the low bass tones only. After market subs in 6.5" are not cheap.
The rear most speakers are only little 4" speakers but they are full range. I chose to rewire my amp to output for the rear channel to the sub locations. This allowed me to put my mid range speakers in the rear seats and leave the very back for future subs, prolly 10".

Massey

Quick Reply: Monsoon info?