Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what scanner is it?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Please enlighten me on a scanner that shows everything but cannot pick up if your plugs or wires are bad? Oscilloscope should show the Secondary side of the ignition, A high resistance wire should show as a very high spike at the initial plug firing a wire that has given up the ship and is shorting could still have the high spike but should have a very short/low fire time once it arcs to ground. This secondary pattern is the only way a scanner could tell if a single cylinder is rich or lean. A lean miss from a weak or plugged injector should also show up on an oscilloscope.

Why in the world would you swap in all those parts if you had a scope? If you are going by the O2 sensors that the motor is rich or lean you have to remember that is a average of 3 or 4 cylinder and the PCM is adjusting the fuel to get the reading right. Your PCM can make an issue.

If you have not done it yet you may want to pull the MAF sensor and clean it. Check out YouTube for the how too. Use electrical connector cleaner not carb cleaner like most of the video say. Carb cleaner leaves behind a small amount of lube to help carb linkage. This is not good for your MAF wire.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Its Ethos from snap on. Not the best but very good. And i did my wires and spark plugs this morning but still nothing.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you cleared the computer to see if the code sets again

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The ethos is a very nice scanner but it does not have a secondary scope attachment. The ethos should only know what the PCM knows. How do you see what cylinders are not firing? This is just me asking, I do not have an Ethos but I see they are selling pretty reasonably in price. I am just using a Laptop.
So far you have replaced the entire secondary ignition system so I will go way out on a limb here and guess its fuel related. You’re running on the lean side. So basically anything that that could lean a cylinder out (low fuel pressure or bad regulator, injector itself) or you could have low compression or coolant in the cylinder or it could be the MAF sensor needs cleaning. If you sure its 2-5 you could swap those injectors around and see if the miss moves. But I would only do that after I cleaned the MAF, verified Fuel pressure and regulator operation. Coolant leak you should have seen a really clean plug.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Yea cleared it

Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM

I was trying to get a picture of the readings to post but couldnt get a clear one. N ill try that later today.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Today i gave the car agood run and the light went off. So the problem occurs only when the RPM get to 3800 at a slow pace. It wont do it wen i hit the gas to the floor quick.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you may be running lean at a certain rpm. logically the maf and injectors would be a place to look. like has been said clean the maf to see what happens, if not change then have the injectors cleaned and flow tested.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 PM

If it is any of the things yall say why would only cylinder 2 n 5 be effected though?

Quick Reply: Missfire at high RPM. Need help