Misfires, Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation Misfires, Need help

Hey everyone.

Well for the last two weeks my cylinder(s) have been misfiring. Ive changed the spark plugs, plug wires, and i just had it checked by a mechanic who said he thought he had it figured out, but just as i got home it started misfiring again . Could this maybe be a coil issue, or my mechanic even though it might be a computer issue. Any help is appriciated. I have a 96' Rs V6 5 speed and its running a 3800 Series 2. First time poster in this forum if its in the wrong thread being moved is appriciated.

Also Only one cylinder is misfiring at a time maybe this eliminates the coils being a issue?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Did you get it scanned for codes? Could be a coil figure out what cylinder is missing than swap that coil for another and see if the misfire follows

Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Had it taken in for the plugs, first it was the number one cylinder, plugs changed, Problem pursisted. Swapped the wires out, drove fie for about five blocks then same result. Took it in to another mechanic and he said it was the number 6 cylinder, also when he checked it, it wasnt firing at the coil, then it started up again and "Bit him" (lol). Strange thing, is itll run fine while driving after playing with the wires but then it goes back to misfiring.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Replace you coils and plug wires if you haven't already. If that does no good you have bigger problems (computer).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You have 3 separate coils, each one feeding 2 cylinders...1&4, 2&5, 3&6. With #1 and #6 misfiring, that would mean 2 different coils are bad, if it is the coils. Although not totally unlikely, it's doubtful. You said your mechanic got "bit". Was that from the coil or one of the wires? Even though you replaced the wires, one could be bad, especially if you used a cheapo wire set. Open the hood and run the engine in the dark, and look to see if you have a lightning storm. A bad (leaking) wire is going to want to jump spark to ground because that's the path of least resistance, so check them anywhere they come close to anything metal.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
The Mustang Hunter

^^ What 69'er said. My old V6 (it was a 3.4L, but still) had the EXACT same problem. It was the wires I had just bought. They were crappy, and the manifold burned through 2 of them within 2 hours of me leaving the parts store. Check your wires.

x01660

Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You have 3 separate coils, each one feeding 2 cylinders...1&4, 2&5, 3&6. With #1 and #6 misfiring, that would mean 2 different coils are bad, if it is the coils. Although not totally unlikely, it's doubtful. You said your mechanic got "bit". Was that from the coil or one of the wires? Even though you replaced the wires, one could be bad, especially if you used a cheapo wire set. Open the hood and run the engine in the dark, and look to see if you have a lightning storm. A bad (leaking) wire is going to want to jump spark to ground because that's the path of least resistance, so check them anywhere they come close to anything metal.
Duralast wires. Coils will spark, but from what my mech. said was that the # 6 wasnt sparking then it started again, and the bite came from the coil. He told me if it happened again to bring it back and he would start trying new coils. At this point im thinking its gonna be somthing tidius and the things that go un-noticed . EX: Ignition control mod, Cam/Crank position sensor, or injectors. Thanks guys, im still taking it back tomorrow so any other thoughts/advice is appriciated. Trying to get ideas for him so he can start checking everything, he already mentioned the computer so i think were on the right track.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Like others have said, most likely one of the coils is failing. Don't go throwing other parts on there until you know it's not that.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
Like others have said, most likely one of the coils is failing. Don't go throwing other parts on there until you know it's not that.

Sounds good, ive already got it at a shop. Needed new plugs anways, Plug wires were inexpensive and easy, somthing i could do. Mainly my focus is the coils. If one was going bad wouldnt two cylinders be misfiring and not just one? Or is is it exactly how it sounds (just one at a time).

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when the coils are getting old and tired they will fail when they get warm. usually coil will only misfire on one cylinder at a time, it will not be able to recover to fire a second time. they can fail all together but is rare. .

Quick Reply: Misfires, Need help