Massey, question for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the picture. I see the difference in the LT-1 and SBC thermostats. It does take the split O-ring though instead of the standard gasket though. I really appreciate all the help and information you guys have given me. I'll let you know how the job turns out.

Jack

Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Well, I got everything apart. I took my time and only got pissed once so went and took care of the horses to calm down. Came back and finished taking it apart. I am hoping to finish tomorrow. I need to run to the parts store and get a thermostat and a new serpentine belt just for kicks. I have a question. I have Permatex brush on form a gasket sealer that we used all the time back in the day and I have black RTV. Which one should I use to seal the water pump gaskets? I already plan to use the Permatex on the bolt threads. Thanks.

Jack in Michigan

Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i use the soft setting stuff, easier to get off if need. use the high temp rvt. get a gator belt if you can.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Gator belts are all I use. I just hope I can remember how all that junk hooks up like the air pump. I'm pretty sure I will. I'll just take my time. Surprisingly, I didn't get any antifreeze on the Opti.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool, hows things look? i like to take pictures before so i can go back and look if needed.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

So far things look good. I noticed the old pumps bearings look screwed up. Almost like some of the ***** are missing. I am hoping tomorrow I can have things back together. I have the insurance back to full coverage starting the 15th. I want to be able to get her on the road then.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM

I got the new water pump on and the air pump. I would have had more done but it took over 2 hours to get all the gasket off the front of the block. I probably won't be working on it again till Sunday evening or Monday after I get back from an orthopedic surgeon appointment. That's part of why I want to get this done so quick. I have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist and after the surgery, it will be quite awhile before I can do things like this. Without the water pump change, I couldn't drive the car. I just have to make sure I have everything wired back correctly. That shouldn't be hard since all the plugs are different. Anyone have any pictures showing how the wiring is routed by the air pump? Thanks in advance and thanks for all the help.

Jack in Michigan

Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

Well, I worked on it for about an hour and maybe 15 or 20 minutes when my wife got home from work and took over watching our grandson. I have all the wiring figured out (not as hard as I was thinking) and routed, fans installed and all the plumbing but the upper radiator hose on. We are expecting some storms so I called it a night. Tomorrow after the surgeons appointment I will finish her up. Figured out how to bleed the system too. I am getting excited about getting her all finished up. The insurance takes effect Friday and I want to take her out for a drive.

Jack In Michigan

Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool, hope everything goes good for ya.. yah we have 45mph winds and heavy rain. girls had a good time at the game today till late in the game, got cold.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I finally got the job done about an hour and a half ago. I took my time finishing up today and cleaned the air induction parts. I am doing some clean up under the hood and I have to run up and get a K&N Filter Charger cleaning kit for my filter. My car is all stock except for the K&N FIPK air filter system and the Borla Cat Back exhaust. I also ordered her with a bare bones cassette player and financed in a Clarion AM FM in dash cassette and a trunk mounted 6 disc changer. So, by Friday she will be ready for my first drive of the season. I can't wait. This job was a milestone for me since I have never before worked on an LT-1 small block. I can do a normal water pump job in something like a half hour. This one took me right at 3 days but I did it all myself with help from you guys. Thanks for the help and thanks for giving me the confidence to do this myself.

Jack in Michigan

Quick Reply: Massey, question for you