Manual Transmission Issues. Need expert help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Manual Transmission Issues. Need expert help!

OK, I'm not a noob so let me explain what's been going on first.

I have a 95 Camaro 3.4L 5spd T5 transmission. My transmission was rebuilt recently. My issue is as follows:
- Clutch pedal feels very loose with little resistance
- Won't go into gear. Only by double-clutching repeatedly or getting it to high enough RPM it will go in gear.
- Feels like the clutch isn't engaging

What's been changed:
- Clutch has less than 2000km on it and worked fine before taking the tranny out.
- New slave cylinder put in, and bled properly.
- The slave moves the rod (actuator) as soon as the clutch pedal is pressed.
- New throwout bearing was also put in
- Clutch master cylinder is working fine, no leaks

What could the issue be? It's almost like the slave isn't pushing the fork far out enough to engage the clutch. Are there any adjustments? And advice would be helpful!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you have your flywheel turned? If so, then you may need a shim to go between the crank and the flywheel, to make up for the difference. The problem here is that the starter engagement changes. The ring gear is moved farther away.
No adjustments can be made to the clutch pushrod. IF the slave cyl. rod had an adjusting mechanism it would be great. Some foriegn cars have them.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could have air in there. pump the heck outa the clutch peddle. like a thousand times. see if you can work it out.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Psycho
Did you have your flywheel turned? If so, then you may need a shim to go between the crank and the flywheel, to make up for the difference. The problem here is that the starter engagement changes. The ring gear is moved farther away.
No adjustments can be made to the clutch pushrod. IF the slave cyl. rod had an adjusting mechanism it would be great. Some foriegn cars have them.
Thanks for the info. So all I need to do is pudh the flywheel back? When you say a shim, is this a permanent thing that needs to stay there?

When we took the tranny out, we didn't touch the clutch at all. How would the ring gear moved?

@Craby, I did pump the clutch lots and bled it for 2 hours. As soon as I push the pedal it moves the rod in the tranny so I know there's not an air-lock problem.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd replace the master cylinder, looks like it's narrowed down to that. It can "leak" internally where the seals aren't pushing/holding the fluid with enough pressure. When you were pumping the pedal like crazy, did it get stiffer, then drop off again if you held it down or then gave a single pump? That would be either the master or slave cylinder. And since you already replaced the slave.....

Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 AM
2nd Gear member

I forgot to mention that I replaced the slave cylinder thinking that was the problem. The old slave was fine. Everything worked properly before taking the tranny out. I have no drop in clutch fluid level, and the slave pushes the rod in the tranny as soon as I push on the clutch pedal. How would the master cylinder go bad from just taking the tranny out and putting it back in?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mrfreez
I forgot to mention that I replaced the slave cylinder thinking that was the problem. The old slave was fine. Everything worked properly before taking the tranny out. I have no drop in clutch fluid level, and the slave pushes the rod in the tranny as soon as I push on the clutch pedal. How would the master cylinder go bad from just taking the tranny out and putting it back in?
Any time you disturb a contain hydraulic system you run the risk of stiring up dirt and causing a issue.

One thing I am not clear on. You have to fight to get it in gear or even pump to go it, but once it is in gear and you go does it work good, grab or feel like its not engaged/slipping)

Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear member

It's not engaging. From 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc. It's luck of the draw for it to go in gear from a stop, and while driving it seems like the clutch isn't engaging ot the throwout bearing isn't being thrown out far enough.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe it is just the wording. In my head when a clutch is engaged the car goes. When you shift you disengage the clutch, shift gears then re-engage it. But If I understand what you are saying there is no abnormal slippage.

If I remember right the 3.4 has an external slave cylinder. The first thing I would want to check is there any slop at the connection between the slave and the fork. You have limited travel and if some of that limited travel is being used by slop you need to figure out where the slop is coming from.

There is not chance you dropped something between the clutch and pressure plate? If something would get embedded in the clutch (like a pc of a pilot bearing) it would cause it to not disengage completely.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's where I'm getting cornfused now. Him saying "it's not engaging" means the clutch is slipping. An "engaged" clutch=grabbed.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Issues. Need expert help!