Making a Car a Home -or- How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Default Making a Car a Home -or- How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I know that a lot of people on here are talking about racing and taking their cars to the strip and whatnot, but I just bought a '95 v6. Let's just say that she's no race car. This is my daily driver and I just want to try to make her as reliable and clean as possible.

I've had the car for a couple of months and I've done some tinkering around trying to get her into solid condition for the car that I depend on to get from point A to point B everyday. That being said, I've had to fool around with some things and really need some help with a couple of things.

First, I need to know how exactly the scissor jack is supposed to fit into the spare tire (donut) compartment. I think that I have all the parts, I just don't know how to get it into there.

Next, I want to know if there is a reasonably simple and cheap way of getting brighter headlights. I really don't like the look of those halo lights, or projector beams, or whatever they're called. I just want something that I'm not going to be overdriving doing 70 on the highway.

I'm also trying to get better gas milage. I've got a 3800 and put one of those really chintzy cold air intakes that you can get off of ebay and, I'm sorry to say, still have that crappy filter on it that they sell it with. I'm in college right now paying my own way through, so the cheapest solution is, at this point, the best solution.

I'm sure that there will be more things that I want to work on, but at this point, this is as far as I want to go.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I can help you with the headlight part. Take your housings out, and you can twist the bulbs right out of them. Yes, they are made into the housings, so supposedly you'd have to replace them with the same housing-type bulb (all made into one), but the bulbs will twist right out with a little effort. Then buy a set of Silverstar Ultras. Once you have the old bulbs twisted out, carefully silicone the new bulbs into the housing, let it dry, and install the housings back on your car.By the way, you can do all 4 bulbs like this, low and high beams. This worked great for me, and it's one of the few ways you can get brighter bulbs in these cars without going to full hid route. Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Hmmm...I'll have to try that. Right now, I'm trying to get the interior all squared away so that there are no loose panels hanging around (the car came with everything, but over the past month, panels have been falling..weird), then I'm going to start upgrading things. But next time I'm at Autozone I'll have to pick up a new bulb and see what I can do.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Overdrive Member

9006 for lows and 9005 for highs. i have a how to in the exterior section

Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 AM

When I bought the car, I had the spare, the j-bolt, the retainer and the jack, but not the wingnut, so I ordered one online which came with jacking instructions that I didn't know I was missing. I spent some time looking at how everything is supposed to fit together, and I've figured out how the spare gets connected, but I can't for the life of me figure out how or where the jack gets connected or where the jacking instructions go. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Don't know about the jack... But gas mileage is best achieved with a tune up... Plugs, wires, O2 sensors, and coil packs. Freeing up the exhaust(aftermarket), will net you some HP and a couple more MPG as well.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM

I've got cat back magnaflow. How much would plugs wires and o2 sensor cost (ballpark) and are there any specific ones I should be looking for? Should I get platinum or iridium plugs? Are the wires going to make that big a difference? Also what is a coil pack?

Like I said before, my budget for my car is not big. I basically want to do things that will in the long run, pay for themselves. Once I am a little further out of debt, I will probably be looking for some power upgrades, but for now, trying to get more miles out of a tank.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:59 AM

Just got a new fuel filter and put it on, waiting to see if it's helping with gas mileage. I also had to put a new sun visor on, because the other one fell off. That was a bigger pain than I thought it would be.
Unfortunately, the amp for my subwoofer isn't getting power, so I guess that goes on the list of things that I need to fix.
Got the wingnut for my spare, so now it doesn't bang around all over the place (yay!)
Does anyone know of a way for me to get disc brakes on the back without a rear end swap? I hate changing drum brakes, but don't have the money or facilities to put a new rear end under her just yet.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
4th Gear Member

The jack lays on the frame part of the side of the trunk under the carpet on the tilt going up the back of the fender (frame part) and the instruction cover sits on top if it with a bolt that has a plastic **** that goes down through the jack and screws in a little raised hole that you will see on the frame part of the car. Hard to explain. I will see if I can take a picture and post for you later. Check out your local salvage yard for parts, especially the little nick nack parts and you will save a lot of money.

Last edited by osduck5; 09-22-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Hope this helps

Last edited by osduck5; 03-20-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Making a Car a Home -or- How I Spent My Summer Vacation