View Poll Results: Which one gets you more HP per $?
LS1
69.23%
LT1
7.69%
Both are about the same.
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LT1 vs LS1: Cost Effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

LSX is usually referred to as the LSX family. LSX blocks are just starts to a build with several different possibilities....

Plus a couple more. No need to get smart. You're asking for advice and you're not giving much info then being a *****. Not cool...

As far an LS1 vs LT1... The LT1 will make 235-250 RWHP. The LS1 will make 300-320.

Do a little math. 70 hp to make up for... Most bolt on LT1s make around 280-290 RWHP...

Of course there are outliers to this but these are basic numbers. Now go do math and quit being dumb.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Fancy Sparkle

OP, just so you know, the LT1 needs to have head work done before it'll show any really big gains. stock, well they just suck. ported stock heads can do wonders though (like the A.I. 200cc ported stockers). but it's still a good $1800 for that.

if we want to start getting into the big displacement small blocks, well the LSX block wins hands down. it has better heads to work with from the start. even though the LTX race blocks (aka the LTX Bowtie block) can hit close to the same stupidly huge displacement (427ci), the heads just aren't there to feed that big of an engine.

Last edited by 1990CamaroRS; 09-05-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 AM
4th Gear Member

LS1 heads were touched by the hand of God IMO...

Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1990CamaroRS
OP, just so you know, the LT1 needs to have head work done before it'll show any really big gains. stock, well they just suck. ported stock heads can do wonders though (like the A.I. 200cc ported stockers). but it's still a good $1800 for that.

if we want to start getting into the big displacement small blocks, well the LSX block wins hands down. it has better heads to work with from the start. even though the LTX race blocks (aka the LTX Bowtie block) can hit close to the same stupidly huge displacement (427ci), the heads just aren't there to feed that big of an engine.
Good info. Would doing headwork on the LT1 raise its potential enough to be comparable to an LS1? Does headwork make the same improvement on the LS1?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Fancy Sparkle

well the heads i was talking about (AI 200cc heads) will bring an otherwise stock LT1 up to stock LS1 power levels. if you start swapping heads on an LS1 though, well an LT1 is gonna start requiring some high dollar heads to keep up.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

well the heads i was talking about (AI 200cc heads) will bring an otherwise stock LT1 up to stock LS1 power levels. if you start swapping heads on an LS1 though, well an LT1 is gonna start requiring some high dollar heads to keep up.
And the high dollar heads are obviously more expensive than the LS1 heads.

I remember reading this discussion about LS1 vs LT1 and someone claimed that with good heads the LT1 is just as potent as an LS1. I guess not.

Alright, LS1 is the way to go then. I want an LS1 TA so bad...

Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
4th Gear Member

No they won't... Not even close.... Since when does heads alone make 75hp on ANY stock vehicle?

Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
No they won't... Not even close.... Since when does heads alone make 75hp on ANY stock vehicle?
Since when is there a 75hp difference between LS1 and LT1?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear member

The stock LS1 heads are better than the stock LT1 heads. But there is more to the increased power levels between the LS1 and LT1 than just the heads.

The whole intake, cam, tune, exhaust and ignition are a step up over the LT1. Heck, what would anyone expect when the engineers at GM spent a lot more time and money developing the LS1 package they put in the F-Bodies?

If GM had opted to keep the LT1 and not go to the LS1 platform, you can bet that they would have gotten the power numbers to match what LS1s put out. The LT4 (330 hp stock anyone) is proof positive that there are several ponies left in the LT1 barn. I'm not certain, but I think that the LT4 was only available in the '96 'Vette.

But GM decided to go the LS route and that is that. The aftermarket has really put some serious time and effort into making even more power out of the LS family and they are a very popular engine.

All of that said, the LT1 and LS1 will make comparable power when prepped and modded with similar head / cam / intake / exhaust / etc. There are a lot more similarities between the two than many people think. It's too bad that parts don't swap between them. That would really rock the boat.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
The stock LS1 heads are better than the stock LT1 heads. But there is more to the increased power levels between the LS1 and LT1 than just the heads.

The whole intake, cam, tune, exhaust and ignition are a step up over the LT1. Heck, what would anyone expect when the engineers at GM spent a lot more time and money developing the LS1 package they put in the F-Bodies?

If GM had opted to keep the LT1 and not go to the LS1 platform, you can bet that they would have gotten the power numbers to match what LS1s put out. The LT4 (330 hp stock anyone) is proof positive that there are several ponies left in the LT1 barn. I'm not certain, but I think that the LT4 was only available in the '96 'Vette.

But GM decided to go the LS route and that is that. The aftermarket has really put some serious time and effort into making even more power out of the LS family and they are a very popular engine.

All of that said, the LT1 and LS1 will make comparable power when prepped and modded with similar head / cam / intake / exhaust / etc. There are a lot more similarities between the two than many people think. It's too bad that parts don't swap between them. That would really rock the boat.
At least lotsa parts are interchangeable between the LS1 and other LS engines. I also heard LT1's parts are interchangeable with a lot of old small blocks. I actually read somewhere that some internal parts can be interchanged with the ORIGINAL LT-1...That's why I asked which one is more cost effective.

Quick Reply: LT1 vs LS1: Cost Effectiveness