LT1 or LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear member

And the manual will win stock for stock.

TBH, I think engine platform is completely irrelevant when racing 3400-3500lb daily driven cows. Buy a car that looks good, sounds good, is fun to drive and be happy while having a drag project on the side.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I Like to Party

Many choose manual because it is "more fun" but an auto can be the difference between winning by a half second-an eternity in drag racing.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by iLL95
Many choose manual because it is "more fun" but an auto can be the difference between winning by a half second-an eternity in drag racing.
Do you want a track car or a cruiser? The manual car will win stock vs. stock every time and is much better from a roll if you know what you're doing. A high stalled auto will be better on the strip because it's more consistent and can shift faster than humanly possible (assuming you have a high quality converter), BUT you're heading down the quarter with less power on the ground due to more drivetrain loss. And the half-second is a total exaggeration.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear member

And I wouldn't take an auto out to autocross.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cheeks
can't shift faster than an auto, I don't care who you are
In all other forms of racing if you showed up with an automatic trans you would get laugh at. Even in 1/4 mile racing many pro’s use manuals. The guy sitting next to me use to make clutches for 2500-5000 HP dragsters. Camaros mean different things to different people but I like the low center of gravity and its coil over design suspension and its has pretty good weight balance for driving on the road. The Standard trans allows me more accurate control to shift the weight of the car front to back using the throttle. The automatic just feels spongy.

Again this is just my opinion but if I was building a 1/4 mile car I would not want a low center of gravity or an engine bay that is such a challenge. I would grab an 80’s Malibu or a Monte. What is the point of building a car known for handling then modifying the front suspension for launching? None of this changes the fact that most of the driving world agrees with me because if they did not the 6 speed would not cost $1500 more than the automatics. Even todays 5 gens with a 6 speed automatic trans GM still sell the manuals, Why? because a Camaro is the closest thing to a factory Pro touring car with a back seat and the Standard transmission is the better choice for that platform it you plan on using it that way.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Do you want a track car or a cruiser? The manual car will win stock vs. stock every time and is much better from a roll if you know what you're doing. A high stalled auto will be better on the strip because it's more consistent and can shift faster than humanly possible (assuming you have a high quality converter), BUT you're heading down the quarter with less power on the ground due to more drivetrain loss. And the half-second is a total exaggeration.
That's perfectly understandable, an expensive converter or even a manual reverse valve body on an auto is a pretty bet. A half second isn't everything but it could be the difference between winning and losing

Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear member

That's perfectly understandable, an expensive converter or even a manual reverse valve body on an auto is a pretty bet. A half second isn't everything but it could be the difference between winning and losing
http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...peed-list.html
When you got guys running in the 8's with a M6, can't say I'm worried.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Guitar
http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...peed-list.html
When you got guys running in the 8's with a M6, can't say I'm worried.
8.69 @ 156.00 - 1.26 - Mcleod soft loc --- 402 ---- N/A ------------- 3195 - ls1 joe
That's insane, he doesnt even use nitrous

Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 AM
2nd Gear member

That's insane, he doesnt even use nitrous
N/A is for real men.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Guitar
N/A is for real men.
Guess Chaotic is right, bottles are for babies