LT1 Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Default LT1 Help Please.

1994 Camaro Z28 LT1 6 Speed

Desperatly need some wisdom. Recently changed complete ignition system on my LT1 Plugs/Wires/Coil/Module/Opti (MSD) almost 3000.00$ . Car ran wonderful for about 3 weeks. One morning on way to work
about 30 minute drive car jerks and sputters and dies. I managed to roll off into a Canadian Tire Parking lot which has just opened. They scan the car for codes and come up with 2 or 3 codes all igntion. I dont have the exact list but i know one was cam sensor. Since I just had all the ignition sytem replaced at another shop i decide to take the car back there, Canadian Tire resets the codes and says its starts right up but aftyer 30 minutes
it does it again accept this time it stays running but has lost alot of power but doesnt seem to be missing. I get it the shop where they swap parts left and right to no avail. The only thing left is the opti in the ignition problem.
Now the opti is warranty for the part but labor is on my dime which im not complaining about because that is life but i just want some thoughts or opiinions if this sounds like an opti problem before.

Exact symptons, 15-30 minutes of drivetime, Car jerks once as if lost all igntion, stays running most of the time, check engine light is on, Weak power and if you shut it off super hard to get started again. Once it cools
off fires right up with check engine light off, runs fine until 15-30 minutes again. Any suggestion or suspicions.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: LT1 Help Please.

Make sure all the low voltage wiring and connectors between the PCM, Opti, ignition coil, and ignition module are clean and tight.
All clocking and timing information for the 94 LT1s comes from the Opti. There are no separate cam position or crank position sensors in this engine. So if you continue getting clocking errors it is probably a bad Opti. The MSD opti is considered by many to be superior to the GM unit, but it has only been on the market a short amount of time, and IMO it hasn't had time to demonstrate its reliability

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Pete. Im 90% sure its a problem with MSD opti as we checked everythign else. I should know by this afternoon and will post the results.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Check this out...sounds familiar...

http://home.comcast.net/~markpoulton/dist.pdf

Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Alright i was at the shop today , The New GM opti arrived at around 1pm , the car was completly apart and with any luck will be ready sometime tomorrow . I actuyally talked to the mechanic working on it and he told me the error code it was putting out since they replaced the coil & module was a high resolution opti code which we both beleive can only be the opti. FINGERS CROSSED. Hopefully by this time tomorrow ill be on here saying the car is fixed and another 1500 dollars is spent . [:@]

Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM

Knock On Wood We can close this thread. The new GM Opti is on have put about 150 miles on the car without a hiccup. Just as a side note i have to say the MSD opti was probably bad from day one as the car runs much smoother and has more get and go from a dead start. I sincerly thank everyone who offered suggestions and opinions. Keep your fingers crossed for me.