LT1 auto as fast as manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: LT1 auto as fast as manual?

wait now im confused which one is regular drive the one with the square around it or the the regular d
because i always drive in the d with the box around it

Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

they are basically the same as 95slvr said and it all depends on how well you can shift too. but man that is one slick ride. white fbodies always catch my eye (if they are clean)

Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bonedeth631

wait now im confused which one is regular drive the one with the square around it or the the regular d
because i always drive in the d with the box around it
the "D" with the box is overdrive. the "D" by itself is not lol

Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear member

haha yeah the one with the box is overdrive..it saves you gas at the expense of torque, the regular D is drive.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah D with the O is overdrive, good for normal everyday driving on relatively flat grades. D is just plain ol' drive, good for going up hills, going down hills without having to use your brake as much, and for racing a ricer from the dig. In all D shifts gears at a higher RPM than Overdrive.

Edit: those are nice tailpipes on your car stic. They look like the ones on my bros white 95'. They look like 3" tips. Do they happen to say Flowmaster on the tailpipe too?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i thought they looked familiar too.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the tips are about 3 inch, but I don't see a brand name on them anywhere. I'm gonna put the car on a rack soon and try to figure out exactly what they are.

This talk about drive vs overdrive has gotten me thinking. Does anyone have some kind of proof that drive actually shifts faster or at higher rpm? I'm kind of under the impression that all it does is ignore the 4th gear. Overdrive will certainly get very close to the redline when floored.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can test this and see the difference for yourself. If you are driving in the city/traffic in OD and are going along unaccelerated for a little while you will be able to feel and hear the transmission shift to the next highest gear. Being unaccelearated the engine is at a lower RPM,which should prove the OD shifts at lower RPMs. The same can be said if you are in the city/traffic in drive. Since drive shifts at a higher RPM and if you are unaccelerated, you will be going slower since it hasn't reached the higher RPM to shift into the next highest gear. The following is what I do preatty much on a daily basis and is also another test to see the difference. If you are going fast in OD, then drop down into drive you will be able to feel somewhat of a jolt followed by the engine revving higher, and your car beginning to slow down. You can do this for going down hills and losing speed when there is an upcoming stop ligt or something. You are right about not being able to go into 4th gear while in drive. Revving at a higher RPM and higher speeds will put more stress on the transmission and engine, thats probably why shifting into 4th while in drive isn't an option, I wouldn't even try testing that out.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM
4th Gear Member

i drive around in o/d all the time and i just dont get a real torquey feeling as when im in drive. I can redline it in overdrive while flooring itbut i dont do that very often kuz i try to spare my car from some abuse these days.. lol

Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the answers. I still wonder if there would be a difference in 1/4 mile times. Has anyone tested that? In the 1/4 mile the car would never reach 4th gear anyway, and this would be a good test to see if the car shifts harder or at higher rpm while under full throttle.

Quick Reply: LT1 auto as fast as manual?