LT1 auto as fast as manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default LT1 auto as fast as manual?

I'm new to the forum because I recently got a 96 Z28 auto. I was really looking for a 6 speed (my last car was a Cobalt SS Supercharged with a 5 speed) but I came across this car in the color scheme I wanted, 41k miles, mint condition with flawless paint and interior, and I pretty much stole it for $6800. Anyway, I have heard a few people say that the LT1 autos are as fast at the manuals, but that seems a little far fetched to me since you're giving up 2 gears. Anyone know for sure if there is a difference in 1/4 mile times?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: LT1 auto as fast as manual?

I don't have an answer for you, but that is a nice car. A 96' Z with that low of mileage for only $6,800. You really did get a steal. You should post in the new members section so everyone else can see that.Do you havemore pics?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

I don't have an answer for you, but that is a nice car. A 96' Z with that low of mileage for only $6,800. You really did get a steal. You should post in the new members section so everyone else can see that.Do you havemore pics?
Thanks. I'll do that plus post more pics in the gallery tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 AM
4th Gear Member

i dont know about auto vs manual.. but you have a DAMN fine set of tail pipes.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

i dont know about auto vs manual.. but you have a DAMN fine set of tail pipes.
Thanks. The car came with a nice aftermarket stereo (mp3 player, usb port), K&N cold air intake, and aftermarket exhaust although I haven't put it up on a rack and figured out what kind yet. Sounds pretty mean though.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Member

from here looking at the tail pipes my guess would be Magnaflow but idk.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Overdrive Member

To answer your question about 1/4 mile times, stock for stock they tend to be the same. You have to consider that although you are giving up 2 gears, one of those is an extra overdrive that you'll never hit on the 1/4 mile. Then, you take into consideration that the 1st gear of 4L60E is more aggressive than the 1st gear of the T56, even after you calculate in the different rear end ratios (3.23 for a GU5 auto, vs 3.42 for all manuals). Then consider that the auto is going to get off the line faster (unless you're a pro-stock driver, in which case it may be even), and the auto shifts faster and more accurately than any normal human can dream of. After all that, it doesn't take too much imagination to see why the auto will run similar 1/4 mile times. If the T56 is driven well it will always trap at a heigher speed, but the times are pretty similar. If you put a high rpm stall and a shift kit in the auto it will walk all over the manuals all day.

Nice find on the car, I love people that sell low milage stuff for cheap! I got the same sort of deal on my car, 95 Z28 A4, 37,000 miles, $6000, but mine was all stock. Welcome to the Forum!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

To answer your question about 1/4 mile times, stock for stock they tend to be the same. You have to consider that although you are giving up 2 gears, one of those is an extra overdrive that you'll never hit on the 1/4 mile. Then, you take into consideration that the 1st gear of 4L60E is more aggressive than the 1st gear of the T56, even after you calculate in the different rear end ratios (3.23 for a GU5 auto, vs 3.42 for all manuals). Then consider that the auto is going to get off the line faster (unless you're a pro-stock driver, in which case it may be even), and the auto shifts faster and more accurately than any normal human can dream of. After all that, it doesn't take too much imagination to see why the auto will run similar 1/4 mile times. If the T56 is driven well it will always trap at a heigher speed, but the times are pretty similar. If you put a high rpm stall and a shift kit in the auto it will walk all over the manuals all day.

Nice find on the car, I love people that sell low milage stuff for cheap! I got the same sort of deal on my car, 95 Z28 A4, 37,000 miles, $6000, but mine was all stock. Welcome to the Forum!
I suppose it makes sense that the times could be virtually identical when you take all of that into account plus the fact that the LT1 has such a broad torque band. By the way, great looking car and you got a great deal. I notice that it's not stock anymore. When did you get it?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Stic first of all that is a great looking car and did you get that from a dealer for that price because that is insanely cheap. Also I was wondering if you could tell me the diameter of those tailpipes they look awesome.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Woah nice man. i got my 97 Z with 94k miles for $8900... you suck =P

well i use to have a 95Z and it wasan auto(my 97 is a 6 speed) and to me the stick feels faster. i havent like timed it or anything but i mean its not like all that far off, if you keep the auto in drive (not overdrive) then itll get you a little more speed, i use to shift a lot with the auto (lmao...) idk if u cared about gas or anything bc by what i've seen the 6 speed gets better. but all in all its not that far off.

i didnt really read everybody else's statemnts they prolly know more than me..lol im new here too.

Quick Reply: LT1 auto as fast as manual?