LT1/383/le2 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default LT1/383/le2 help

just got my engine it is out of a caprice, it has cast iron heads. i was wondering which can have better flow #'s aluminum or cast? with porting of course. got the block all torn down just waiting for 383 kit. kinda a newbie here but i should be able to get by with boring.030 over and hot tanked right, also clearanced for rods and cam.or is there additional work that should be performed? also have done a bit of research on the le2 head and cam package but what do you actually get in the package just the assembled heads w/out the roller rockers? gaskets? cam bearings? the 383 kit i am getting is externally balanced and comes with the flywheel its ready to bolt in correct? also am keeping in mind that i might add a turboon later ? any suggestions would help! what setups to go with to keep compression down?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: LT1/383/le2 help

know one wants to help?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member

from what i understand about the le2 (other than i want it) you send your items to him and hell do his magic and send it back alogn with some upgraded valve springs etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

As far as nobody wanting to help, you have to give these kinds of posts some time, there's a lot of technical information in here that a lot of members do not have the knowledge to answer, so it's better that you get right anwers instead of "kinda right maybe" sort of answers. Now, on with the show!

As far as the heads, I would assume that both are going to be able to flow about the same. Unless you get someone that works only on cast LT1 heads would you be able to see any difference. There's a reason that most modern heads are aluminum, they're lighter and that apparently makes up for any difference there could be in flow, just my $0.02 on that one. For your questions on the LE2 head package, send them an e-mail and I'm sure they can tell you what all comes in the package, from the website it looks like you get assembled heads and a cam, no gaskets etc., but the best way to find out would be to contact them directly. To keep the compression down you're going to need different pistons, possibly heads with larger combustion chambers. If you're going to build for forced induction you need to make that decision from the start of the build. It's best to get low compression and a cam that performs well with a turbo instead of spending a bunch of money on an N/A top end and pistons that you'll have to in essence throw out.