Ls1 Performance upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Ls1 Performance upgrades??

lol..... the loudmouths are pretty loud, but everything gets amplified when you have a high-overlap cam in the motor..... no bolton only cars sound loud to me anymore

Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

well it looks like i Have alot of work ahead of me to get the moohla for all these parts Im lookin at slps 350 HP package and theyre performance headers then I think Ill throw some underglow on her and then after i get lots of money and lots of time Ill probly get to caming her but that wont be for a while the way this economy is working.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok so far what Im getting here is slp box for intake can i use my stock filter with that?
and slp headers
my car is a automatic so a B&M shift kit dose anyone else suggest this and what does it do exactly?
So you guys are pretty much saying all new exagust and intake are there any suggestions on waiting and just saving for a cold air intake or will a new box help with that 2?
yes you can use the stock filter with that but for an extra couple bucks you can buy a k&n filter to make it that much better. the stock trans is made to have smooth shifts witch means it slips the clutch a little bet witch makes that much more heat...the b&m shift kit stops the clutch from slipping to make firmer shifts and keeps the heat down. im saving up for a cold air kit. i think it only uses the slp box but i dont know[>:]as far as the headers go as i said i have LG long-tubes witch work fine for me..and since the other guys are keeping you away from flowmaster id listen to them they seem to know more than me....slp makes a exhaust that has the tips come out the center of the back bumper youll have to ask specter or sombody about that but they look cool...have fun modding

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear member

and anouther thing when you ever deside to tune your car make shorethe dyno ppl know what there doing my dyno shop screwed me over so now i have a fake 400+ hp car[&:]

Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

my maro actualy already shifts realy rough alot of times first to second but has a brand new tranny in it so i think its just breaking in but idk ive only owned this car for about 4 months and for one there was sonw on the ground so i havent realy had time to get a real good feel for her yet and it looks like the 350 kit comes with the CAI so idk heres a link if you wanna check it out http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...mp;BIG=28020-1 well actualy that probly wont do you much good since you already have a lot of that installed but there it is any way

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Ninja Administrator

actually, there is no clutch in the automatic transmission. It uses a torque converter which is kind of like a fluid turbine. increasing the rpm increases fluid pressure inside the torque converter which increases the "connection" between the motor and the trans. for automatics, its important to remember that no drivetrain parts are directly connected. its the buildup of fluid pressure that causes the transmission side of the torque converter to spin, thus turning the gears and wheels, and therefore an automatic tranny can never be as efficient as a manual ofsimilar design. this is because the manual is directly touching the motor through the clutch, and does not (or should not) slip when fully engaged. the auto will ALWAYS "slip" to some degree, but the degree of "slipping" falls as the rpm increases toward redline. at redline the engine speed and torque converter speed are the closest

now, if nothing was controlling the transmission during shifts, either mechanically or electronically, just slamming the tranny into the next gear would result in some rough shifts. a typical transmission will reduce or redirect the fluid force during shifts. the shift kit changes the degree of redirection. or at least that is my understanding of the shift kit. knowing how a torque converter works, i cant think of any other way to affect shift firmness

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member

lol iv had my camaro for about 4 or 5 months to[&:]and i forgot to add my maro is a 6sp.thisspring im putting a bigger cam in her i have a ls6 cam now..change the exhaust tune the car correctly (damn dyno) so i can finaly be able to use my 125 shot of nitrous without worrys....and anouther thing if you race somebody from a dig the stock torque conveter probly isnt doing to be good enough but idk what to recamend cuz im not a trans expert[>:]thats y i got a 6sp you can launch at any rpm you want....is your car a t-top? if it is im jealous cuz mine is a hard top like my uncles 02 z28

Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

the TC isnt the weak point in the trans usually. aftermarket TCs are typically used to change the "engagement" point of the motor and trans. many racers want the higher stall because it lets them launch from within their powerband. the fastest cars in existance run autos because they can stall them up and not have to worry about them anymore. and just because you CAN launch from high rpm in a manual doesnt mean you should . tires are the limiting factor in any launch.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear member

i just looked at the 350 package it looks pretty good for $700 and yes that douse come with a cold air induction kit...and i just saw some 500hp badges on there to im going to need those cuz when i get done tuning the car i hope to get 500+hp out it with nitrous

Old 12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

yea to bad I don't have an 99-02 so I could get the 400 package but yes my camaro does have t-tops . Yea so what are you guys thinking for tranny?? I'm realy thinking the 350 kit and some neon then when I start up working get the headers.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Performance upgrades??