Ls1 Performance upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ls1 Performance upgrades??

Ok Im not going to lie Im a noob to upgrading the engine of a vehicle I have basic mantenince skills, I'm preety dang good at detail and body work, abd I am pretty good at small engine repair. However my father is a master mechanic (I am only 16 and live with him) And he had a 1968 camaro but dose not have a ton of time to work with me on my car. I have read the basic mod thing that is stickied or whatever and it is very vague having little to no specifics. So I have a 1998 Ls1 z28 camaro that is all stock and I am looking to pump a little more HP to the tires I am lookking for others that have gotten some good results and nothing to mager like a super charger or somthing that requires removing the engine. So any suggestions on upgrades would be nice I am realy looking for specifics like brand names and if you are suggesting a exaghust then please mention if i have to get new mid pipes or headers I am very anxious to get started soon before winter ends so i can work on it without hindering driving durring the summer.So any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys.

-shawn

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Ls1 Performance upgrades??

nice car dude, i have the same car but all blacked out, i love that color, anyway i bought most of the stuff on my car used or on sale so i cant really give you a good price. SLP has a ton of go fast goodies i have there air-box lid but im saving up for ther cold air induction package but here is SLP's website for 1998-2002 f-bodyshttp://www.slponline.com/car.asp?C=1998-2002%20F-Bodysome of there stuff is a lil bit pricy and i have LG long tube headers witch to me give the car a agressive rumble combined with my magnaflow cat's, and flowmaster 3" true duel exhaust with there super 40's....is you car a 6sp? if it is a short throw shifter and a lightwieght flywheel is good but if its a auto a b&m shift kit is good to. buy some pulsar spark plugs, i love those and some new plug wires. and also some new tiers to keepthe car tame with the new found power your getting...i hope that helps you, if you need more help justreply back. im online praticly all day every day lol

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Ninja Administrator

check the modding sticky out in the 4th gen section. lots of info on basic boltons. slp makes some good stuff, but there are things out there that are just as good for a fraction of the cost of slp..... start with basic boltons. for the ls1 i recommend pacesetter headers because of the cost. those are the headers i run. you may get an extra hp or 2 from other brands but its just not worth it IMO

Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree with spec. Start out with the basics. Lid, headers, Y-pipe, exhaust, and tune will get you well under way with no draw backs and make the car sound and run like a champ. Very nice looking car man take good care of her

Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

For exhaust go with SLP or some other brand. Stay away from FLOWMASTER[:@]

Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear member

For exhaust go with SLP or some other brand. Stay away from FLOWMASTER[:@]
lol whats wrong with flowmasters?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What's wrong with flowmaster? I know they're known to be a bit more restrictive than other brands but does it really make that big of a difference?

*lol i was typing this the same instant as ls1, got it posted like 20 sec later*

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Ninja Administrator

slowmasters?
[8D]

like the most restrictive exhaust on the market, but it doesnt really matter because its mostly for sound. by the time the exhaust gets there restriction doesnt do much.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks aperently my camaro is like one of one because its the sport metallic gold and a z28 then had custom black stripes put on and has t-tops and the vin checks out for ltd. to so Im going to try to take the best care i can of her.

Ok so far what Im getting here is slp box for intake can i use my stock filter with that?
and slp headers
my car is a automatic so a B&M shift kit dose anyone else suggest this and what does it do exactly?
So you guys are pretty much saying all new exagust and intake are there any suggestions on waiting and just saving for a cold air intake or will a new box help with that 2?

Thanx alot for your patience guys this is realy helpin me out

oh yea and by the way it has brand new bridgestone L50s on it so dont worry i have lots of rubber to burn

Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ls1s13

nice car dude, i have the same car but all blacked out, i love that color, anyway i bought most of the stuff on my car used or on sale so i cant really give you a good price. SLP has a ton of go fast goodies i have there air-box lid but im saving up for ther cold air induction package but here is SLP's website for 1998-2002 f-bodyshttp://www.slponline.com/car.asp?C=1998-2002%20F-Bodysome of there stuff is a lil bit pricy and i have LG long tube headers witch to me give the car a agressive rumble combined with my magnaflow cat's, and flowmaster 3" true duel exhaust with there super 40's....is you car a 6sp? if it is a short throw shifter and a lightwieght flywheel is good but if its a auto a b&m shift kit is good to. buy some pulsar spark plugs, i love those and some new plug wires. and also some new tiers to keepthe car tame with the new found power your getting...i hope that helps you, if you need more help justreply back. im online praticly all day every day lol
I pmed you but Im not so sure you got it Im not very familar with the pm system on this site what i was wondering is....Is your loudmouth system realy loud I dont want to have to yell to talk to people outside my car with the windows down I just want it to perform well and sound powerful but not loud if you know what Im saying dose any body else have a suggestion on a system that offers those "features"

Quick Reply: Ls1 Performance upgrades??