loud noise (bang) from under the arm rest when i accelerate !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Default loud noise (bang) from under the arm rest when i accelerate !!!!

Ok guys, i need your help please, i hear a "bang" noise and a slight vibration every time i accelerate hard, it dosent do it when i take off slow, its underneath the arm rest i feel it, what did i do now? is it my tranny ? please help ...

Last edited by stan1277; 08-09-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Torn stock transmission mount, which then lets the trans lift up and bang on the tunnel. Replace the mount and it'll go away.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem (twice) with mine...

What it is is the torque arm is jumping up and hitting the floor, its that long bar that runs alongside the driveshaft. The top bolt in the front mount came out and when the driveshaft spins it pulls that arm up and smacks against the floor of the car. You can fix it for maybe 50 cents but its a ***** to get to...I just took it to a garage they charged me 10 bucks...its worth it to save yourself the trouble...

I have a 3.4 with a 5 spd so I dont know if the bolts would be the same size but it was 10mm with a 1.5 thread pitch and its about 2 inches long

and I strongly suggest a lock-washer

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by topherratty
I had the same problem (twice) with mine...

What it is is the torque arm is jumping up and hitting the floor, its that long bar that runs alongside the driveshaft. The top bolt in the front mount came out and when the driveshaft spins it pulls that arm up and smacks against the floor of the car. You can fix it for maybe 50 cents but its a ***** to get to...I just took it to a garage they charged me 10 bucks...its worth it to save yourself the trouble...

I have a 3.4 with a 5 spd so I dont know if the bolts would be the same size but it was 10mm with a 1.5 thread pitch and its about 2 inches long

and I strongly suggest a lock-washer
i also had this prob and no its bigger than 10/1.5 with the 5 speed but mine was stripped out so i had to tap it and sht for 10 bucks GO TO THE GARAGE its a btch to get at

Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

My 98 Did the same thing, But the rubber tore apart rather than any bolt issuses. Had to replace it 3 Times, Try to avoid cheap Auto-Zone Replacements, Maybe NAPA or something, It sucks to have to re do.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys very much for your input, yes it was my tranny mount like most of u mentioned, i just came back from a tranny shop and they replaced it, told me it was torn in half, i feel much better now, it wasnt that expensive to fix, it was like 140 bucks...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stan1277
Thanks guys very much for your input, yes it was my tranny mount like most of u mentioned, i just came back from a tranny shop and they replaced it, told me it was torn in half, i feel much better now, it wasnt that expensive to fix, it was like 140 bucks...
Glad that your all fixed up. Did they give you a warranty?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blasko
Glad that your all fixed up. Did they give you a warranty?
Yeah they did, 6 month or 6,000 kilometers ( Canada here), hope he put in a good mount in there that would last.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've had the mount tear apart on me before, and the lifting force from the torque arm was making the tail of the trans smack the tunnel. It happens if you like to be ruff with your stuff! If you eat up another stock rubber mount, you'll probably want to consider using a urethane one.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I've had the mount tear apart on me before, and the lifting force from the torque arm was making the tail of the trans smack the tunnel. It happens if you like to be ruff with your stuff! If you eat up another stock rubber mount, you'll probably want to consider using a urethane one.
I considered bying a better than stock but i honestly didnt have time and just wanted to repair it, i know if this happened again i will for sure, i dont usually drive my car rough anyways, maybe once in a while but dont trash it.

Quick Reply: loud noise (bang) from under the arm rest when i accelerate !!!!