Lost Oil Pressure, Where is the Oil Press Sender Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Location: James Creek, PA 16657 & 2nd Home in Bonifay, FL 32425
Default Lost Oil Pressure, Where is the Oil Press Sender Location

I need some info. (please):

I have a 02 Camaro with V-6 3800 Gen. 2 Engine.

I changed the Oil and Filter, just a routine oil service. The Oil Pressure was Good for 10 minutes and then dropped to Zero ! The car has 127,000 but runs well, does not use oil or have any problems that I know about.

I'm a diesel & airplane mechanic but retired now. I don't know the late model cars that well. I bought a Chilton book but did not see where the oil sender was located.

I bought a manual gauge but did not see a place to install it. I expected to install it in the same place ( 1/8") as the Oil Sender. I crawled underneath and looked along the sides of the block.. saw nothing.

Note: I've had all the gauges jump around the last 3 weeks (somewhat). However, they are Not Jumping Now. The oil press goes to 15 PSI for (5) seconds and then to Zero. I don't hear any other unusual engine sounds.

I'd Appreciate a >>> Bird Dog Point >>> to the Oil Sender Location or Follow-On Advice.

Thank You,

Avery

Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM

I forgot to mention -- Yes, the Oil Level is at the Full Mark.

I do Not have a Oil Pressure Warning Light (if their is one).

I saw the Oil Pan Low Level Sensor on the Driver Side of Oil Pan and No Low Level Light.

Avery

Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Bookmark this link. SHBOX is a great resource for us!

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-Component Location Views

EDIT: Sorry, this link is for the LT1 engine. Not sure if the V6 location is the same...

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM

The Link that You Sent would be Great if it was for the -- 19XX to 2002 V-6 3800 Gen II Engine. Anyway, while I'm waiting for some follow-on advice on the Location for the Oil Sender... I'll go back to the car and look in these (^ above link ^) locations.

Avery

Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM

My Oh My,

I found a 1/4" pipe hex. head plug by the oil filter. The plug has about 5/8" of an inch clearance from the frame. It will be.... sort of tough to get it out & manual fittings in & oil tube line installed for a test deal. Would be better to find the oil sender& install a new one and hope for the best.

If this V-6 has the oil sender on the driver side... rear... it's real close to the fire wall cowl and another problem area for R & I.

I'm hoping the oil sender is up front some where (on top of the Eng.) where I can get to it.

Avery

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
4th Gear Member

I don't remember where they are on the V6 but two spots I'd look is down by the oil filter and behind the intake.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^ lol, great minds think alike. two places to look, at the back of the intake manifold, yep way back in the hole, lol, i think thats where its at on 3.8, 3.4 has em just above the oil filter. you could download the 99 fbody service manual file and use it. most of it should be good for yours. My Files

Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Overdrive Member

The sender is right above the oil filter facing forward. It is on the same piece of the engine that the oil filter mounts to. Ya cant miss it, the thing is about 3 or 4 inches long. If you drop a wrench from the tensioner pulley it will hit the sender and break it. Trust me I know this!!

Massey

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 PM

Massey, and All,

I looked Twice for anything (sender with one wire) around the filter on my 3800 V-6 engine. I saw a sensor that's about where You describe it but thought it was a Crankshaft Sensor with two wires coming out. Also, I did not see the small round cyl. pot.... that I expected at the base of the two wire connection going into it.

I'd sure be happy if that's the right animal (oil pressure sender). I'll look at it again disconnect it and unscrew it and look for oil flow.

Massey -- I like your statement at the base of your post. I have 30 years in Army, started off as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, then spec. ops. (flying) at the mid point of my career. I'm concerned about our country and it don't look good {but not the place to discuss it).

arbakerjr@Hotmail.com

Avery

Last edited by Avery; 08-29-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should look like this

Attached Thumbnails Lost Oil Pressure, Where is the Oil Press Sender Location-getimage.php.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lost Oil Pressure, Where is the Oil Press Sender Location