At a loss and looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Default At a loss and looking for suggestions

Just replced the motor in my 95 Z28.I didnt do anything special like add any aftermarket parts or anything yet except for performance distributor and coil.Anyways. We got the wireing harness and everything hooked up and ready to start up.When we tried to get it to turn over all it did was just "click".We checked the fuses, all the grounds and the harness and everything looked good so we removed the starter.Tested the starter and it tested good, so now we have no clue.This has been a project that has taken entirely too long and I really need to figure this out quickly but now I have no ideas.HELP!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

The starter will click when your battery is dying.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

will the motor turn over using a socket, best to do with the plugs out but just to see if it will easily turn over i have used a socket on the balancer bolt. dont want to put a bunch of pressure on that bolt.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM
4th Gear Member

I have to back up here and ask some basic questions

is this a used engine being installed or is it rebuilt?

if used, did you hear and see it running prior to installtion?

did you verify the engine turned prior to installing?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM

The battery's brand new, the engine is refurb from S&J Motors. We cant get the engine to do anything right now.There's power going to everything.The fuel pump kicks on,the fan starts up when I try to start the car and all the lights and guages work.I'm wondering if one the fuse relays didnt go bad, I'll try to check that tomorrow if I get a chance to get back over to the shop.Thing is, this is my only vehicle so I really really need to get this figure out this week.Been 7 weeks now.Just havent had much time with work and classes and the shop hours being crappy.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check flywheel/flexplate to see if its jammed up somehow. so it quit clicking the starter? take the plugs out and short the starter across from small wire to big wire and see if it will turn then.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check flywheel/flexplate to see if its jammed up somehow. so it quit clicking the starter? take the plugs out and short the starter across from small wire to big wire and see if it will turn then.
agreed, take away the compression by removing the plugs and see if it turns

Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM

I'll give that a try far as the fly wheel / flexplate. We also realized today that I did not disable the security feature from the manufacturer.Is it possible that this could be the issue and is there a way to fix this without taking it to a dealership?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Droid

What security feature are you taking about? Do you have constant power at the battery cable connected to the starter? There are two things that click when attempting to crank the engine. A very soft click when the start relay operates, and a loud click when the starter solenoid operates.

If the starter solenoid clicks and nothing else happens, then:
1) There is no, or not enough amperage available at the battery cable connection on the starter.
This could be due to a weak battery, dirty or loose battery & ground connections, corrosion between cable clamp and cable.
2) Bad contacts in starter solenoid.
3) Bad starter.
4) Jammed starter.
5) Engine locked up. Verify by turning engine by hand.

Last edited by z28pete; 03-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
What security feature are you taking about? Do you have constant power at the battery cable connected to the starter? There are two things that click when attempting to crank the engine. A very soft click when the start relay operates, and a loud click when the starter solenoid operates.

If the starter solenoid clicks and nothing else happens, then:
1) There is no, or not enough amperage available at the battery cable connection on the starter.
This could be due to a weak battery, dirty or loose battery & ground connections, corrosion between cable clamp and cable.
2) Bad contacts in starter solenoid.
3) Bad starter.
4) Jammed starter.
5) Engine locked up. Verify by turning engine by hand.
check all above!

Quick Reply: At a loss and looking for suggestions