Looks Like Im Comin' Back BoyZ!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Evap Valve?

Where is the evap valve located? Sorry...not sure what it looks like.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

passenger side of the intake. http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg

Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Harness

It looks like the harness from the MSD Opti is a permanant part of the distributor.... there is no plug in at the distributor side only up on top where the evap valve is. I guess MSD eliminated the harness and uses thiers hardwired right off the opti....

Its looking like its coming down to the ECM or the opti..... ugh...

Last edited by 2Z's; 05-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the opti connectors at the evap valve, unhook and look inside. make sure there clicking in tight, sometimes the inside can get bent and not make a good connection.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Pulled the Optispark

Well, I went to jump in the car and run a few errands. I cleared the codes last night and checked the connection from the optispark to the factory harness. Everything seemed fine.

After starting it 6 or 7 times without issue, I felt confident enough to take it out to run a few errands..... NOT!! As soon as I went to start it up and leave, it decided it wasnt going with me.

I verified the fuel pressure is 41 psi KOEO WHILE THE ISSUE IS HAPPENING!! Previously, I only had the chance to check it when it was running fine.

So, after trying to start it for 10-15 minutes.... I checked codes again. The 16 was back.

Finally she fired and I drove it right back up on my lift. I went inside and called MSD. I asked them abut a rebuild. Low and behold, they will overhaul it. New inside parts,drive shaft, cap & rotor. The best part is, its only going to cost me $112.00 plus my shipping costs. Bad part is, it can be up to a 3 week turn around.

Called my son and told him he could help me do the opti job. hes been wanting to have some "garage time" together... So in just about 2 hours with a few beers involved.... we were all done!

The opti goes in the mail in the morning and Ill tidy up inside the engine bay while I patiently wait.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

Make sure when you get the new one back, pull the cap off, and loctite the rotor screws. It's cheap insurance against them backing out. Also, make sure it comes with the square o-ring and not the round one. I'm pretty sure MSD has done away with the round ones, but you never know.

I had to install my new one last night and I went with the MSD one. You are right, they are a very nice piece.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if they have not been changed, change the front seal and water pump seal on the front cover.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
if they have not been changed, change the front seal and water pump seal on the front cover.
Done. Just a couple thousand miles on the seals and the water pump. I hardly even got dirty pulling it off.

I spent the day detaling the passenger side of the engine bay top to bottom. Tomorrow Ill do the driver side. Ive been on vacation this week and will be through Monday actually....so plenty of car time this week.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Make sure when you get the new one back, pull the cap off, and loctite the rotor screws. It's cheap insurance against them backing out. Also, make sure it comes with the square o-ring and not the round one. I'm pretty sure MSD has done away with the round ones, but you never know.

I had to install my new one last night and I went with the MSD one. You are right, they are a very nice piece.
Ok, Ill be sure and add the Loctite. Hopefully when the tech guy at MSD said the unit would be "totally upgraded", that would include the O ring ... Ill look close at it when it shows up.

Thanks for the input to you and Craby both!!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what plugs are you using. have you taken a few out and had a look at em. i have had the best results from the ngk iridiums although the new bosch are good too.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...ch-plug-65777/

Quick Reply: Looks Like Im Comin' Back BoyZ!!