Looking to strip down my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Default Looking to strip down my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...

Hey Guyz,

Still kinda new here so go easy on me. The other day I was looking at a friends 1969 Camaro which had it's original 350 with your standard dual exhaust... nothing fancy just a great original muscle car. It was just pure power, simplicity and beauty. And it sounded waaaaay better than my car. So I got to thinking how truly starved the LS1 and newer SMOG equipped generation of cars truly are.

So I am wondering... What series of mods could be done to get rid of all the SMOG components (EGR, AIR, CATS ETC) and not completely screw up the electrical system of my car.

For example, is there a way to make the car run without the Mass Airflow Sensor, or is it designed in such a way that it literally would need a new engine to run like an older muscle car.

For example, lets just say I put true dual exhaust and put the CATS at the very end near the tailpipe, and then after an inspection, I remove them. Would a LS1 with no emission controls pass inspection in TEXAS with just CATS and nothing else?

How many different components would I have to remove to completely BYPASS THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM?

BEST,

JAM
DALLAS, TX

2000 CAMARO SS LS1
50,000 MILES
SIX SPEED HURST
KATECH TENSIONER
NEW PULLEYS
NEW BELTS
BFG Z RATED TIRES

Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

your ls1 isnt really choked up with anything, and your ls1 will walk that old 350 no problem.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your emission is part of the fuel injection system. You PCM is directly in control of that. It also controls just about everything in your car, Security, antilock, gages and even your cilmate controls. You can not just get rid of it.

Your LS1 is not straved, IF the 69 camaro was stock the LS1 would out run it. Anything you can do to the old 350 you can do better with a LS1. There are people with stock LS1 bottom ends that will lift the front end off the ground.

Go to youtube and check out sound clips for LS1 aftermaket exhausts. Your monster sounding car it only about $500 away

Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

SLP LoudMouth exhaust is the best way to go if you want a bad a$$ rumble. Decently loud too. OR you could get flowmasters/magnaflow/borla and install an electric cutout At the push of a button, you're bypassing 80% of your exhaust system and dumping it right behind the y-pipe. Oh yeah!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hahaha. The old motor is choked, not the ls1. Fuel injection is superior in every way to carbs except simplicity. EGR only opens when you are cruising. Its more or less useless, but it doesn't rob you of any power. Your air pump is electric and pumps air into the cat, well past where combustion happens. Again, no loss of power. And guaranteed your cat flows significantly better than your stock muffler and exhaust manifolds. Its only a restriction if your motor is significantly modified.
The intake, heads and exhaust on that old 350 barely flow half what your ls1 heads flow. The cam profile is prehistoric, modern grinds have are better in every way.

Now, if you want to delete the AIR and EGR, and can get away with it, go nuts. They're pretty useless if your car is running at its peak. I think they look like hell and take up space. Do not expect to gain any power though.
The cat is an entirely different story. Its a street car not a race car. Get a high flow cat if needed. Only idiots and ricers remove the cat.

Get yourself a lumpy cam and a good exhaust and I promise it will sound better than any dinosaur motor

Last edited by inanitydefined; 08-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Well first off your MAF is not an emissions component, The CATs barely restrict the exhaust flow, the AIR system is electric and does not rob any power, the EGR only works when you are cruising and that also helps improve the gas mileage by lowering combustion temps. As far as the LS1 being choked... LOL that is a laugh, this engine breathes 100% better than the 69 engine but can still breathe a little better with about $2K in parts. The FAST 102 Intake and TB will open up the intake to about 200% better flow over the 69, and a good set of headers to help the engine exhale will really help too. The LS1 stock exhaust manifolds will flow about 75% better than the ram head manifolds, and 100% better than the other types.

The reason the 69 engine sounds the way it does is the cam's overlap. This opens the exhaust valves before combustion is complete, and the intakes open with the exhaust valves still slightly open which gives it a shake and rumble. With a FI engine you dont have to have as much overlap to improve performance, the electronics on the engine maximise timing and fuel ratios to get the most complete burn at the proper ratio for the most power. This was not possible back in 60's.

Massey

Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Shhhhh...

I'll take that starving LS1 off your hands. Hell, I'll give you my 355 cid I was building.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

and when the throttle is fully to the floor, the only emission item working is the catalytic converters. everything else gets shut off. air injection does not hurt performance. egr does have an effect on part throttle power (some say it doesnt because it allows for more timing, but i know for a fact it does on certain engine). depending on how the texas emissions are, you can remove items and still pass. if they use a tailpipe sniffer, then it wont pass. if it just plugs into the obd2 port, then you can get a custom tune to remove the codes caused by no cats and no egr and it would pass. and no, you cant put the cats on the tail pipes. they need the heat from the engine to function, and wont get hot enough at the rear to work

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Wow! Thanks guys... I'm not a mechanic or anything, so at first glance those classic cars just sound more gnarly than my car... Maybe my exhaust is kinda weak... It's just the stock exhaust, and I have been thinking about going with true dual somehow, even though no one says it's possible without scraping the ground. Any ideas for adding true dual to a 2000 Camaro SS?

Best,

JAM
Dallas, TX

Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

The TSP is really your only option, though it dumps before the rear axle.

Texas Speed Rumbler Bullet True Dual

Kooks makes a true dual system, but its madly expensive.

only other way is to custom fab your own

Quick Reply: Looking to strip down my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...