Long Starter/Crank Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Default Long Starter/Crank Over

I have a 1996 Z28 Auto that takes 7-8 seconds to start when turning it over. The obly thing I could really rule out of the situation is the condition of the battery, which is relatively new so that is probably not the case, but could lead to other problems involving the connection. I have no idea where to begin with the problem (I'm not mechanically inclined either) so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that may have clues as to what the problem could be. I've looked at several other threads where others have had my problem as well, but they don't seem to find an answer to their problems. I would seriously appreciate some replies from anyone that may have info.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM
4th Gear Member

2 year member and this is your 2nd post- we've missed you, where have you been?

since you clearly stated not being mechanically inclined then the first place is to bring it to a trusted shop

it could be anything.

does it only occur when cold/hot or both

how does the car run when first started vs warmed up?

if you still have stock exhaust manifolds then just changing spark plugs is a pain in the buttocks

evven wit long tubes #6 and # 5 (or is it 7) require a wee bit of effort (although one of them thar pass through sockets from Sears or harbor freight makes it easier)

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

long starts can be a simptom of a failing fuel pump,,, and other things like ^^^ is sayin. test fuel pressure, check plugs for fouling (all black), check 02 sensors for fouling and check air filter. probly be a good idea to have er scanned for trouble codes.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Prime the fuel pump by turning the key to the on position then back off like 3x then crank it. If it starts fine something fuel related is the problem. If not I would check the battery first.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
2 year member and this is your 2nd post- we've missed you, where have you been?
I totally forgot about the site, and it was someone else who made this account for me lol. I'll be using it a lot more now to get more info on the car. As for when it occurs, its all the time, no matter the temperature. The car runs absolutely fine when it's started and continues to when its been warmed up.

As RFxCamaro said, I use that trick to prime it and get it going. About after the 5th turn, I can turn it over fine. I changed the battery a year ago and that shouldn't be the case, at least, I hope it isnt. I'll be taking the car into a shop soon once I get some more money here. I'm just hoping it wont kill my wallet. I've had this problem since I've had the car, and it's just one of the many things that needs to be repaired.

But with the suggestions you guys have given me, I'll definitely run this by the mechanic and see what he has to think.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Stop by a local autoparts store like Advance and have them do a system check on the electrical system. That way you can rule those out. Just because somethings new, doesn't mean it works. I went through 3 alternators before I got one that wasn't defective.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Stop by a local autoparts store like Advance and have them do a system check on the electrical system. That way you can rule those out. Just because somethings new, doesn't mean it works. I went through 3 alternators before I got one that wasn't defective.
True but he says when primed it starts fine. Id definitely look into the fuel system.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM
4th Gear Member

True. I just suggested electrical because mine does the same but it has a cheap Walmart battery that's just under rated for the car.

Any ways, on the fuel side, I'd check filter before pump. Cheaper to buy and who knows when the last time that was changed.