Ok i think its time to BAN SPARTAN apparently he cannot talk normal anymore

Old 10-28-2007 | 11:49 AM
|
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Latest update on my 4th gen

Old 10-28-2007 | 02:54 PM
4th Gear Member

what does your car get for gas milage? cuz chances are, that a 2k civic, with 200kmi, will get just as bad(or just as good). secondly dont race people 24/7 and beat on the car, and gas milage will increase. in 5years, you should be able to afford a muscle car if you wanted to, regardless if you sell that now or not. i just turned 17. i was paying 120 bucks a week when i had my camaro for gas money, 190-ish a month for insurance, plus the 1500bucks i put into(only about 400 of needed parts, 350 of 2 tires, rest was "pleasure" items). atm i have a 04 ION, that for 2 months, i payed full coverage on, being 16. 1000bucks for 2months, now that im 17, it's 1200 for 6monts, so still 200 a month, plus about 50-75 a week of gas. and all the mods im trying to save for. money shouldnt be a issue, ur letting it be a issue, and like evryone has said, you wont get what u put into it, so, if money was a issue, you shouldnt have boughten it in first place. and, if money IS a issue. i DOUBT the money you get from car would go into a savings for a muscle car.

Old 10-28-2007 | 08:52 PM
|
4th Gear Member

Thats just the problem... your 17.. you dont understand really.. i didnt either.. my dad has hounded me for years about how buying a 4 banger would help me alot in the long run. Im sure your situation differs from mine.. ive got 1700 a year for insurance.. not bad in my opinion.. then theres 150 a month for gas and 100 a month to my dad paying him back for the repair money he spotted me. I make 300 a month, now with this management position im getting it wont be a problem kuz ill be making about 700 a month. I dont know what your financial situation is so i cant really say its different from mine.. but you obviously have a different way of going about things or have different circumstances than me.

Old 10-28-2007 | 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Doyou mean $300/week and $700/week?

Old 10-28-2007 | 10:52 PM

Well Josh, being that you do listen to me at times, lol, I'm going to put my 2 cents in.

Now, I can see that you have been flamed a little here, and that you have edited your post, but I get the idea of the original post.

Point 1.) While making your car a 12s car, or better, is not hard to do at all, given the setup that Camaros have, it will make reselling the car a lot harder. People that buy used cars "generally" want something that's near stock, why, because they "feel" that it hasn't been beat on. If a person buys a car with serrious mods, they know that there is a greater chancer that it's been beat on, and will endure future problems.

Point 2.) I still see that you're interested in a classic project car. Having worked with people that own them, I can tell you, they are not cheap to do, as I had told you earlier, and this is one of those things that you'd be better off holding off on till you're much older and economically stable. Like well after college and after you have a house (low 30s maybe unless you strike it lucky young and become rich).

Point 3.) Still being young yourself, and with your economic situation in dire jepordy at all times till after you finish college, I'd simply put enough money into the car to keep it running, and maybe make it a little more "you". With the way the economy is going, and price in general, I would only make small changes to performance simply because of the fact that it's going to be hard for you to get a second car to use for economy driving.

Point 4.) I'm glad, in a very weird way, that you're having to repair things on the car. Now granted, it does cost money and I am by no means happy for you, it is still a good thing to go through, as this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cars, especially classic cars, that need constant to semi frequent repairs. You will learn with that car, as I have with mine, that while older cars, even the newer versions as you and I have, are nice to own, they can be expensive in secondary cost such as repairs and needed upgrades.

Point 5.) Use your new money from your new job to help aid in school, don't dump all that money into another project car, you need to, especially at our age, begin thinking about the long term future, and where you want to go in life, remember the decisions we make now can make or break us at any point down the road. If you're going to be savin money, open up a savings account, and after every pay check, add in $100, here or there, or more, that way after you finish college, you'll have a nice deal saved up, that has drawn you intrest for the whole time, that you can use for a lot of different things, or you can just keep rolling the money over and continue adding to it for future uses.

Whatever way you go Josh, I'll support you, but please don't make the mistake so many people have made by sqandering away money on a car, there are much better things in life.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:47 AM
|
4th Gear Member

Lol, why cant everyone just reply like Jeremy? No flaming and straight facts.. I mean i again thank those who did post without biting my head off.. but honestly...

I see where your coming from Jer. and I wasnt planning the project until later.. weither during or after college. Im going to a Community college for two years, take a autobody and a business class then im switching to a junior college for two years to take business some more and then i HOPE i can get into UTI and round off my automotive knowledge and open my own shop (customs, repairs etc.) Now i may not know much about cars now but thats why im willing to learn... I guess in short i got all the things my dad and others have told me about the beautiful automotive world and got em alil mixed up with my own fantasy.

Doyou mean $300/week and $700/week?
Unfortunately i could only wish it was weekly.. by the end of the month my current paychecks add up to about300working4 days aweek for 6 hour shifts during that month.. IFand hopefully when i get this management position it will be around 700 a month as well... Iwork at a movie theater... lol

Ok... AFter reading all your replys closely and thinking about the long run, here are my options.. Get the management position keep the camaro (which is my plan as of right now) and mod it sparingly as i go until i can afford to sell it for something like a 69 Chevelle (most likely after college) and heres my other option.. if i dont get the promo at work i keep the car until gas prices are unbareable and i am absolutely forced to sell it and if gas prices dont rise i keep the car until i can afford a project which again will probably be after college..

Old 10-29-2007 | 10:03 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Thats just the problem... your 17.. you dont understand really.. i didnt either.. my dad has hounded me for years about how buying a 4 banger would help me alot in the long run. Im sure your situation differs from mine.. ive got 1700 a year for insurance.. not bad in my opinion.. then theres 150 a month for gas and 100 a month to my dad paying him back for the repair money he spotted me. I make 300 a month, now with this management position im getting it wont be a problem kuz ill be making about 700 a month. I dont know what your financial situation is so i cant really say its different from mine.. but you obviously have a different way of going about things or have different circumstances than me.
well, my insurance is just above 2000 a year for my current car, i went through about 400 a month in gas on the camaro, about 200 a month on the ION. my parents financial system is very good. but unlike most upper class families, my parents wont buy my stuff for me, and im pretty glad they dont, makes you feel better, in a way, you buy everything yourself. as for your job. you deffently need a new job, who cares if it's easy work, when ur only making 300 a month. i'd rather make 300-350 a week slaving for 40-50hours a week. i am also saving for college next year. and soon, my dad IS buying me a new camaro, dont know what yet, still need to find it, but i have to pay him 250 a month for him to do so, and must pay it off before i go to college, or he will sell it.

i dont see why you'd sell, a fairly well working car, for something, your gonna dump a ton in, just to save gas milage. only disadvantage to having your camaro is winter. and frankly, they can do decent in winter with studded tires..

after ACC, i am also going to UTI in Mass. um... it's not a school to openup your own shop. you CAN do that. but it will be very hard to come out of school and do it. i'd work for Ford or Audi or BMW or whatever for a couple years first. to bad GM isnt part of UTI.

im not trying to flame you, but i just got finished doing the same thing you did, cuz my car needed about 500 bucks of parts. i had the money, my dad wouldnt let me spend the money on it although. i bought a car worth 4x as much, i regret VERY much getting rid of my camaro, i would rather have that still, and spend all the money on it, and not be able to drive it in snow. than have the car i have.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:35 PM
|
4th Gear Member

Yeah I hear ya. I have to pay for everything myself. But like i said soon ill be getting 700 or so a month which is roughly 350 a week. I will be going to a community college for two years taking a business class and an automotive class, them im transfering to a jr. college to take business for two more years getting my degree there in business hopefully and finally ill round it off with UTI in No Cal. I dont want to sell my Camaro, but before this management position became available to me it was getting hard to afford it. Now once i get the new position and the higher pay i should be golden.

Old 10-29-2007 | 02:30 PM
4th Gear Member

so what, you only work every other week? that isnt as bad ofa check as we thought. the /month thing throws/threw me off

Quick Reply: Latest update on my 4th gen