last new lt1 4 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default last new lt1 4 bolt

just ordered a NEW lt1 4 bolt shortblock for my 93 z. the last available in the country that i can find. i will be building to 350 to 400hp while trying to keep mpg at close to 25. anyone have suggestions. im looking to elliotts and or tpis for heads and cam setup. pcm for programing, not sure i can afford kooks but will try. so far a b&m trans & converter setup but thats up in the air. any suggestions on that? will be looking to spohns 373 strange rear end, eaton gears and the spohn hd driveline, except for the drive line the rear unit will most likely be a year away. this may put my mpg under my goal but ill see how it goes up to then. springs and shocks? want to lower 1" should keep my pockets empty.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i would look into performabuilt for your transmission. 350-400RWHP really isn't too hard to accomplish either...just have lloyd port your stockers and you will be fine. i would also look into a vigilante or yank converter for the tranny...probably around a 3200-3600 would be good

Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear member

You want 25 mpg with a H/C setup, high stall, and 3.73s? If you can accomplish that, I'll be very impressed.

You better look into a locking converter if you're serious about your mpg goals.

EDIT:

The rest of it sounds fine though. 350-400 rwhp is a cake walk.
I hope you didn't spend extra for the 4-bolt, for that relatively low horsepower goal.

Last edited by robmnrd; 04-01-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

yea i dont see your mpg goal bein met. and the 4 bolt is a good move no matter wat. and what whammer said is what id do. and i think bmr has some good lowering springs along with strano. and is it a strange 12 bolt that your lookin at or the s60? at that power id go 12 bolt less power loss. and spohn makes some real nice suspension parts i have a few for my built that are real nice heavy duty pieces

and for shocks it depends wat you want from the car and budget you have for them. what is your purpose im assuming nice street car with your mpg goal

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear member

rob is right. I plan on a 12 bolt next summer, I think my stocker will last for the maybe one month of the summer that I'll be driving the car. Then it'll essentially be parked 'til next summer. And my goals are very similar to yours. Powerwise.

Oh, no doubt the 4-bolt is a good move as a precaution, especially since he'll probably decide to throw a 125 shot on there after the build. :P But I wouldn't be worried about a 2-bolt letting go without a fair bit more power, and the revs needed to get there.

Slightly off topic here, but rob, what do you know about suspension setups? I'm trying to decide on the way I wanna go.
I'll check back here after class tonight.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

about suspension set ups i could tell you good parts and what shocks and parts are good for wat but as far as tuning an adjustable suspension not much. i just play with the settings and all.

and the 2 bolt main would hold up to that no problem and im sure the 4 bolt isnt a splayed 4 bolt so its not like a 4 bolt good for 1000hp but if he was goin for 1000hp im sure he'd be spendin a hell of alot more lol.

how much was the motor?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

short block was 1199. last new 4 bolt he had for sale. hes saving one for his own camaro. would have cost to much to convert to splayed and thought for an extra 150. wth. its a 2 year project unless crabbing is good next year. i know the mpg is a reach but its worth a try. i been getting 27 to 28 the way it is so i will most likely lose 5 to 8 mpg. wouldnt be a challenge if it was easy. yah its a daily driver 1 to 2k miles a month so im would want a fairly soft suspension but will hold the corners. go to pick my son up on odd weekends at 600 miles a pop total. fun drive through the olympic park in north washinton st. no traffic lots of corners and long straight road in spots to pass when needed. and very few badges. at the same time one of my buddies that crabs picked up one of the 427 mustangs in 07 and it does not hook up well so i figure if i can get the right hp to hook i have a chance to shame him.

Last edited by craby; 04-11-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

so you're lookin for more of a handling type suspension for it? upgrade swaybars springs shock and all

Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok im on the right track then with spohns upgrades. sway bars bushings and such. i think he uses eibach, is there a big difference on the spring names. i know the price swing is a bit with some. what about the QA1s? they look like a good way to go to.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

eibach isnt the best lowering spring out there like i said bmr's are supposed to be good and strano's and qa1's are awesome shocks but i see them more for drag racing and less for cornering. koni's and kyb's more on the handling side. spohn makes awesome suspension part. but i think if your lookin for cornering contact sam strano talk to him about what you want. but for torque arm lca's and panhard bar spohn is real good

Quick Reply: last new lt1 4 bolt