Lacking Power!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Default Lacking Power!!

My camaro just got a new water pump and a new thermostat. the thing is that its lacking alot of power plus its backfiring ALOT!!!! Also i just wanted to add it doesnt even have a muffler th guy before me ripped it off and put in a pipe in replacement to it so it smells really bad and it sucks a lot do i have to replace the entire system or what? also i was wondering is it the EGR system or the ignition timing is causing the lack of power and backfiring? Thank you yo all who have helped me with the over heating problem!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr. sounds like a bad opti.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Droid

It would help knowing what year, model, & engine you have. You seem to have many problems with this car, was it like this when you first got it?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM

well if your an early ls1 98-02 if you put a 160 degree therm then you need to tune car for it if not it will run bad because the computer is adjusting when it wouldnt need to but it doesnt know the colder temp is there so it will pull timing and add fuel if its lt1 check the sealing of the opti those are a pain to deal with good luck

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would check to make sure the previous owner didn't do anything else to the exhaust system, like leave off the oxygen sensors. That would really mess up your air/fuel mix. You could also have an ignition problem (distributor, plugs, or wires).

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok guys after looking he has a 97 ss camaro. no muffler? do u have a cat? where are u looking when u say it has no muffler? check the cam/crank position sensor, 02 sensors. could be a number of other things like pete and 69 said so u need to scann for trouble codes.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrian'sCamaro36
My camaro just got a new water pump and a new thermostat. the thing is that its lacking alot of power plus its backfiring ALOT!!!! Also i just wanted to add it doesnt even have a muffler th guy before me ripped it off and put in a pipe in replacement to it so it smells really bad and it sucks a lot do i have to replace the entire system or what? also i was wondering is it the EGR system or the ignition timing is causing the lack of power and backfiring? Thank you yo all who have helped me with the over heating problem!!!
was it doing the backfiring prior to the new waterpump??

why was the waterpump replaced?

was it leaking?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear member

My money is on either faulty/missing O2, or the opti got wet when the water pump was replaced.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM

hey guys sorry but my car is a 1997 z28 ss 5.7L V8 LT1 engine. it has about 144,000 miles on it and i mean i think im going to go to a mechanic to get it checked out cuz its been acting up a lot now the power is even less and my gas is going faster than ever. i had to walk and buy gas for $2.54 cents which thats not even a gallon to get home and it didnt even get me home. i think there might be a leak in the fuel pump or can the pump be pumping too much gas cuz it smells like gasoline when i get out of the car and there is no muffler on the car its just striaght out. the previous owner is a complete moran i dont know how he was able to own a camaro and treat it like this!!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look for fuel leak. follow the fuel line back from the engine to the gas tank looking for a area were gas would clean or darken it. there is two lines a fuel line and a return line. either one could be leaking. could also be the evap. not really up on that but dont think it would get your mpg down so bad.

Quick Reply: Lacking Power!!