Knocking Noise and Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Knocking Noise and Starter Problem

I just bought my new 1998 Z28 and I got it from a dealership and It sounded great and ran great there. Then I brought it home.

First problem: When I start it up I hear this knocking type noise in the engine.. Is it because I'm in Canada at -40.. or because I put unleaded instead of Premium fuel (it was all that was available at the time). Or is there a different possible problem? My 1997 RS did the same thing, so It could be either one, because I used unleaded for that as well, and It was freakin cold last winter too.

Second Problem: I had my block heater plugged in all night and then I hoped in my car this morning to go to a school exam.. and low and behold she doesn't start. I run around, find a ride, get there, ace my exam, get home and try it again. After the second try it starts up and runs good (aside from the knocking). I called the guys I bought it from and the mechanic said it's a problem with V8's. The starter is behind the engine, so when you drive through fresh snow it lands on or near the engine, melts, then freezes the starter overnight. Then he said turn the key into the on position (even if it's not turning over) for 30 seconds, and turn it off. This heats it up he said, try it again and presto, it runs. Is there any way to avoid the whole melting and freezing or will I have to do this every morning or every odd morning?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Knocking Noise and Starter Problem

Anyone? I'm guessing that since no one answered that it happens with all V8?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, I can't vouch for the starter/cold issue, since here in Michigan the coldest it gets in the winter will probably onlybe around -10. :P

You should be using premium (91 is the minimum premium rating around here...). It all depends on the engine though, since sometimes it'll pull enough timing to be able to run low grade, and sometimes you get a pickier engine that'll only take premium.

P.S. I'd like to see you run something other than unleaded. [8D][8D]

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha yeah I'd like to but I only had unleaded at the time.. but I won't make that mistake again.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Droid

I suspect all pump gasoline in Canada is unleaded, just as in the US. What you need is unleaded premium (91+ octane). As for the knocking, it could be a very bad thing and you should take it back to where you bought the car.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright, well I just realised I'm an idiot and didn't clarify, the knocking noise isn't during idle. When she idles it's beautiful, but when I step on the gas then it goes. Kinda like I'm hiring the firing order in the engine.

Also, anyone else own a camaro in cold weather? Is that block heater thing true? I havent had problems since, just that one time.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes, I think pete caught my sarcasm.

What I meant was DO NOT run anything other than unleaded. Run unleaded premium (91+ octane rating).

Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Droid

If the engine still knocks after a few tanks full of the proper gas, there is a serious problem, and it needs to be addressed before the engine is damaged.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright well I gave her a nice shot of premium gas and I'll try it a couple more tanks. If that doesn't fix er up, what could possibly be wrong?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Overdrive Member

If you can give us any more info on the "knocking" sound it would be nice. Does it go away when the car heats up? Is the car actually pinging (predetonation), or does it sound something like piston slap? Where is the noise coming from specifically? etc. Any details you can give us will help.

Quick Reply: Knocking Noise and Starter Problem