Knocking from the front passenger side wheel (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Knocking from the front passenger side wheel (I think)

Hi all,

In the last few miles I just noticed that there is a noise coming from the front passenger wheel/suspension area, I think.

I don't think I hit anything on the road like bumps, I was on the highway and then I came off and into the city, then was I started hearing it.

I went underneath and couldn't find anything knocking with the exhaust which I thought it was the issue to begin with.

The sound is a metal knocking sound and I think is only coming from the front passenger side wheel area.

I bounced that side up and down whilst stationary but couldn't replicate the sound unless I drive it.

Any tips of what to do with this? I guess the next stage is to take the wheel off and see if theres something knocking with the suspension.

Thanks

Alex

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Without hearing it it’s going to be tuff. As a general rule you do not get what I would define as a knock from a suspension parts.

Is it rhythmic with the wheel rotation? Sometimes the inner back chrome will peel off these rims and it will hit the caliper every time the wheel rotates. Carful if you reach inside the wheel the lifted chrome can be very sharp.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

good first step. make sure your lug nuts are on tight. jack the front up and turn the wheel and see if that shows anything.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 AM

Second thing to try is while it is knocking apply the brakes and see if it changes....that would narrow it down some if it does
Definitely check those lug nuts first though like Craby suggested

Last edited by Roots Whine :); 08-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Did your shock mount break and the shock top is touching the spring? Been there, fixed that.

You may want to look into a suspension rebuild kit, depending on what you find:
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey all,

Thanks for the tips.

OK I will check the lug nuts as a first thing, then try the braking test.

How do I check this part? "Did your shock mount break and the shock top is touching the spring?"

Thanks

Alex

Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Overdrive Member

I have heard a "knock" from a bad hub assembly. One bearing decided to turn into powder and that left a gap that would cause the other bearings to occasionally jump into. When they would jump into the open spot it would make a knock or clunk sound. So check your hub assembly while you are in there. Oh yea do you have an ABS light on right now? If so another reason to look at the hub.

Massey

Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shock mount is at the top of the shock/strut shaft, the top is covered and if it does not get greased up on install it will rust all to heck, if left for a long time it will rust to pieces and the upper shaft can then drop down and get jammed up with the spring.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle1989
Hey all,

Thanks for the tips.

OK I will check the lug nuts as a first thing, then try the braking test.

How do I check this part? "Did your shock mount break and the shock top is touching the spring?"

Thanks

Alex

Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In addition to what has already been mentioned I would also try to "shake down" the front end before you pull the wheel completely off.

Jack the wheel up by the lower control arm.

First test -
put one hand at 12 o'clock and the other hand at 6 o'clock
push the tire in at the top and pull out at the bottom and than switch pull the top outward and bottom inward (do this lightly - you are just testing for excessive free play). Go back and forth a few times.

Second test -
put one hand at 9 o'clock and the other hand 3 o'clock
push the tire in on the left side and pull out at the right side and than switch pull the left side of the tire towards you and push the right side inward (do this lightly - you are just testing for excessive free play). Go back and forth a few times.

I will admit you need to have a feel for this so you could always do one side than do the other as a comparison.

A youtube video of what I was describing.

Normal things to make noise in the front end are:
Wheel bearings - usually squeel or make noises before they really get worse
Tie rod ends
Ball joints
Struts - banging sound during bumps (do not have to be serious bumps)
Maybe springs in extreme cases
Wheel well liner (I know it sounds stupid but I have seen it... the clips fall out and it starts shifting around while driving)

What conditions are you able to replicate the sound? Are you turning left or right, braking, accelerating, coasting finding bumps in the road or is it based on a certain speed?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by njmike
First test -
put one hand at 12 o'clock and the other hand at 6 o'clock
push the tire in at the top and pull out at the bottom and than switch pull the top outward and bottom inward (do this lightly - you are just testing for excessive free play). Go back and forth a few times.

Second test -
put one hand at 9 o'clock and the other hand 3 o'clock
push the tire in on the left side and pull out at the right side and than switch pull the left side of the tire towards you and push the right side inward (do this lightly - you are just testing for excessive free play). Go back and forth a few times.
Also forgot to mention in both test to use both hands on opposite sides (3 and 6 - 12 and 6) to push the wheel in and than pull on the wheel at the same time.

Quick Reply: Knocking from the front passenger side wheel (I think)