Just bought a 99 z28 and cant fill it up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Default Just bought a 99 z28 and cant fill it up???

hi there,

im new to the forums and just bought a 99 z28. on the way home i stopped to fill it up and i couldn't. the pump just clicks off like its full. now i tried multiple pumps and stations and no luck.

i took it back to the dealer so they could take to theyre mechanic. he thought it was something wrong with the filler tube so it was replaced. well they said that didnt work. so now theyre saying that it a valve in the tank that lets air out while the gas in going in and the only way to fix it is to replace the whole tank.

i was wondering if the whole tank needs to be replaced or if they're trying to shaft me. when he thought it was just the tube he said he would pay for it. when he said it was the tank he was trying to talk about splitting the cost of repairs with me but i didn't give him an answer because there is no way in hell im paying a penny!

what do you guys think?

also, is there a easy way i can check to see if they even put a new tank in it?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Or, you can just not stick the pump all the way in. By putting it in only partially you allow the air out yourself while filling. This should work for the here and now until you find the real problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

did you try holding the nozzle to fill up manually and just fill til you think its full?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM

I tried everything, holding it out pulling the plastic part back even tried a plastic gas can and it just overflowed then evenually it drained in slowly.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Just talked to them and they said it's done. I going to head over there right now. What's the best way to check if they actualy worked on it?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fill the tank.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

^^ lol look underneath if it looks newer that it should odds are your good

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Got 'em again craby.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 AM

haha! thanks everyone.

well i went all the way there on the bus. they where supposed to pick me up from the bus stop but couldnt so i ended up having to walk 30 min to the dealership. i got there and the car wasnt even there. they assured me that the mechanic was on his way with it. well... after an hour and a half he still hadnt showed up and wasnt answering his phone. anyways i didnt get my car back and im pissed! i should be getting it back tomorrow and ill get some pics of her up when i get her home.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Hell after that they should be putting you in a rental free of all charges. The Mech out with your car on a joy ride would **** me off to no end. I have worked in dealerships where things like that have happened and we call things like that Resume Generating Events.

Massey

Quick Reply: Just bought a 99 z28 and cant fill it up???