Just bought a 99 Z28 6 spd

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hotmtrsports
Hi everyone!

I just bought a 1999 Z28 6 speed.... Stock wheels suck. Will be changing those out.

...Change to 4:10 rear as I have with a few C5 Corvettes I've owned. I've found that is the most cost effective way to "wake up" these cars and still have excellent fuel economy with the 6 speed.....
Chuck M
Congrats and welcome.

Why change wheels? More rubber?

What would be "excellent' MPG for a 410 T56 Z?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default anybody have a thumping wind noise above 60 with only one top removed?

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
.... Not a fan of t-top cars though.
My previous ponycars had no T-top, but my current Z28 has T-tops and now I like them. But they dont leak. usually just have the sunshades out, glass still in, only drivers side out when removed.

anybody have a thumping wind noise above 60 with only one top removed?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by mloaks
Congrats and welcome.

Why change wheels? More rubber?

What would be "excellent' MPG for a 410 T56 Z?
Aftermarket tires normally more tread and handle better than stock wheels, on the z I would say around 21-24 highway

Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
Aftermarket tires normally more tread and handle better than stock wheels, on the z I would say around 21-24 highway
cool. in mostly hwy at 65mph, I ave 23mpg. '95 T56...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Excellent point!

I'd rather fix the skipshift and save $1,000 for the person that bought it new...never knew that.
I was not there when the mileage police were there testing for fuel economy, but I still think that forcing me to rev the engine to bypass the skipshift was not the right move.

Chuck M
I disliked it also, but after bypassing per below, i noticed a slight mpg drop...

Disabling CAGS and the Skip Shift Light
The following procedure requires a 10mm socket, extension, ratchet, and awl (or similar tool with a pointed tip):
1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the two bolts holding the PCM to the inner fenderwell. (The PCM is the cigar box sized unit located near the passenger side hood hinge.)
3. Pull the PCM from its lower retaining slot and position the unit so that the connectors are accessible.
4. To disable CAGS, remove the 32-Way F Micro-Pack connector marked "Blue" on the PCM. There is a red retaining clip that needs to be removed first. (Once the connector is removed you will be able to see a blue connector pin guide.)
5. Use the awl to open the gray connector back shell (3 snap latches).
6. Use the awl again to remove the blue connector/pin guide located on the front of the connector (2 snap latches).
7. Find the white wire in location 15. This is the wire for the Skip Shift light. The pins are marked on the back of the connector where the wires go in to it.
8. Gently lift the pin retainer for slot 15 while gently pulling the wire from the back of the connector. Once the wire end is clear of the retaining latches, release the pin retainer. Continue to pull the wire until it is free of the connector body. (There is a seal near the back of the connector that will add a little resistance to the pulling.)
9. Perform the above except this time for the GRAY wire in location 13 of the PCM connector labeled "Black." This gray wire is for the Skip Shift solenoid. This is what actually disables CAGS without having to disconnect anything under the car or insert resistors. If this wire is pulled from the connector on a 96+ F-Body, the service engine light will remain lit.
10. Tape off the ends of the wires.
11. Reinstall the connector/pin guides. (They only go on one way.)
12. Snap the back shell in place on both connectors.
13. Reinstall the connectors on the PCM.
14. Reinstall the PCM by reversing the first two steps.
15. Reconnect the battery.
Even though the procedure looks complicated and intimidating, it should only take about 15 minutes to complete. This will cause error code 91 to be set and stored in the PCM in addition to code 84 set by removing the solenoid. This is only detectable by use of a scan tool. The above codes do not cause the service engine light to illuminate.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Fantastic mloaks!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. See ya later skip shift.....

As far as what I meant by excellent mileage. I only lost 2 to 4 mpg when I went from 3.42 to 4.10 gears on an LS1 C5 6 Speed. So 24 MPG on the highway with this type performance is excellent to me!

The only problem is that I really never see 24 mpg! I have too much fun. 5th gear is actually fun on the highway. 1st to 4th really brings back the old school power. What a blast. AND the only thing I have to do is K&N filter. The exhaust is already done.

Nobody will know what hit them.

Chuck M

Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I Like to Party

Fantastic mloaks!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. See ya later skip shift.....

As far as what I meant by excellent mileage. I only lost 2 to 4 mpg when I went from 3.42 to 4.10 gears on an LS1 C5 6 Speed. So 24 MPG on the highway with this type performance is excellent to me!

The only problem is that I really never see 24 mpg! I have too much fun. 5th gear is actually fun on the highway. 1st to 4th really brings back the old school power. What a blast. AND the only thing I have to do is K&N filter. The exhaust is already done.

Nobody will know what hit them.

Chuck M
Glad to see how excited you are, yeah im pretty excited with my MPG, its a v6 but gettin 26 MPG with my mods should be around 27-28

Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

we also have a 3800II T5 catfish, and have gotten 30mpg on trips on the I-95

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM
I Like to Party

I noticed your Z is the DD, the catfish your toy?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up sorta kindA

Originally Posted by iLL95
I noticed your Z is the DD, the catfish your toy?
mostly.
Catfish was daily driver til son turned 16; figured better he take my Camaro than drag home some carcass for a project...
He still drives it, but has since done the headers/exhaust/clutch/rearend thing for the traps.

in Sept when I needed another daily driver to replace the 90 Olds Trofeo FE3, found the 95 LT-1 for $2G and swooped.
the 3800 also has all new bushings and suspension tweaks, vette wheels with bigger rubber, and is a noisy joy on the backroads!

Quick Reply: Just bought a 99 Z28 6 spd