Interesting: New Radiator shop charges $430 parts & labor; it's a $52 radiator! &...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Now, I'm super worried, Y2K said I did the right thing, in getting a $52 radiator. My freelance mechanic is very competent, yet is THRIFTY....he didn't even ask me if I wanted to pay like $10 more for a warranty on this $52 part. I'm pissed at him? Ugh...he purchased a radiator among 3 other Ebay sellers selling them for $51 $52.50 and $53 & another $51.60. He has dyslexia and has trouble with all that comes with that disability. That's probably why he's a tech guy....

people who have dyslexia are not good and reading writing spelling so they focus their strengths on math, science, computers, tech stuff like car repair

Even though he is competent among these very similarly priced sellers 2 of them were based in California,

it was Confusing, he accidently chose the $51.50 radiator from a Ebay seller in New Jersey!

The $51 was in California!

Anyway, he says Ebay auto parts never steered him wrong but then again he works on toyotas hondas, not on American cars!

I am super pissed.

A) I should have paid at least $135 for a radiator

b) It should have come from an American seller, making sure it was American made!

c) I should have paid for a darn Warranty!

I have always been under the idea that I AM FRIGGIN MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR STUFF THAT IS NEAR AND DEAR TO ME---BECAUSE A HIGHER PRICE IS AN INDICATOR OF BETTER VALLUE--- A/K/A U GET WHAT U PAY FOR

anyone know of a good $100 one? I am going to have to pawn something and buy another one---

i am super pissed I cant think straight

he is TOOOO THRIFTY...HE GOES TO DENNY'S ON HIS BIRTHDAY TO GET A FREE MEAL HE CUTS COUPONS

HE HAS ALWAYS PAID LESS---SURE HE GETS DEALS BUT WHO THE DARN

CLIPS SMOG AND OIL CHANGE COUPONS

DRIVES 10 MILES TO GET A $10 DISCOUNT ON SOME VIDEO GAMES????

****thanks i just better hope that friggin pray that the $52 radiator that's plastic on the outside and has an aluminum core is not defective does not have any leaks etc.

cause I did not get a warranty.

there is a chance, a GLIMMER OF HOPE THAT I AM OVER-REACTING....

THE existing Camaro radiator in my 93 v-6 is....plastic....it has a small leak from the side.....that means it wasn't a factory radiator

if it was factory it would be a big hunk o metal like most American car factory auto parts are!

this means at some point the prior owner (s) of my 93 Camaro had a plastic aftermarket radiator installed

thanks any more ideas to calm me down? thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat

if it was factory it would be a big hunk o metal like most American car factory auto parts are!

this means at some point the prior owner (s) of my 93 Camaro had a plastic aftermarket radiator installed

thanks any more ideas to calm me down? thanks
Relax,it'll probably be just fine and the stock GM part had a plastic tank too so don't sweat that too much. It's been a lot of years since they used good old all metal parts ,nothing lasts like it did the way the built them in the 1950's and '60's with real steel and copper. I would not be surprised to see the higher dollar part made in China, might be better might not. The factory GM part was probably made in Mexico and was plastic and aluminum. That's why there are very few radiator repair shops anymore,plastic-crap and aluminum just gets replaced not repaired.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 PM
4th Gear Member

it happens live an learn for the 3.4l who would not get a cheaper radiator ,me i would have for that car an had the free lance guy do it as long as he knows what he is doing ,but now me for my z28 wich comes with the plastic one too ,to me just getting the full aluminum one would be the right thing couse the car will have parts available for a long time a 2002 ,your car is getting to that point with high miles ,an ceratin parts are getting harder to find too.i would think about saveing for a desent 3800,but i know where you live cost of liveing makes it hard we taked about that in other posts an or threads

when i had the 99 3800 i would have got the cheaper one too or equal to the gm part as well,either way if your car is runing good again,thats all that matters. one thing you got working against you are the miles i think you said there high on that car,

Otherwise enjoy that nice san diego weather while we get a foot of snow an it another month before i get my car out i hope soon though, take a cruise for us Big cat

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-06-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Interesting all of the interest in buying American and not Chinese parts. I have recently paid extra to get OEM AC Delco parts for my '88 Corvette (O2 sensor) and '79 Camaro. In both cases when I looked at the AC Delco box, the part was "Made in China." The original parts for these cars were not made in China. I was looking at getting AC Delco brake parts, but why pay extra to get what may be the same quality. You just can't know for sure.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:42 AM
4th Gear Member

well these days i dont know if its so much american vs china parts ,as some are better then they used to be ,just got to be careful i meen everything from nike sneakers under armur the best stuff people still like china levis china,,there are somethings that are ok an other things not ,when there made under the watchful eyes of american better for the most part,an not a a thing bought in wall mart is american

you take one seller of china auto parts on ebay that same radiator 52.00 life time warranty ,but made in china,an over 7000 reviews 5 stars,so mabey that one part is good

one has to look for usa made. like i talk about better all aluminun one 5 year warranty ,dont know looks like it made in china too,i just like champion.i have a china made part on my 95 406 the the fan temp switch ,has worked real great ,at one time you could not touch one mde in china ,now they have had to get better with some parts

Many new parts seller or some that been there for years will show pictures of an eagle american mussle cars ,but not say where the part is made ,then you google it china

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-12-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Thank u everyone

Hey everyone sorry for flipping out. I went ahead to oreillys to buy a $132 Murray brand radiator (w/ a lifetime warranty) after moving some finances around
i wasnt comfy with the idea of having a $52 rad in my baby. The same freelance mechanic installwled it and bled the system after. Im typin this from my smArtphone cause i had to pawn my laptop for that better radiator. Gorn's maintenance idea sounds like that carshield repair insurance program mike ditka chi bears coach sponsors on the tv. I will reply better when i get my laptop out of hock in 2 wks. Thanx

Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 PM
4th Gear Member

it would not have mattered there both are made in china the one i see on ebay for $53.00 has a life time warranty too, lucky is these days ,there makeing better parts an its you local auto parts store too not an online order, china that is more likely 75% of there parts are made in china now,

with some parts oem for those are probley not made anymore could not find 1 on ebay for a 93 3.4l ,so it was what you had to do i guess

what i look for is i due reviews on items like that an find out how there working out for others or find oem version,like the last one i bought champion 3 core for my 406 ,but i paid $225..00 was a deal for the kind i needed

Anyway get rolling again an let us know how its going,i know your stuck between rock hard place there big cat in southern cal,so i will pray it all works out for you ,an you will be rolling soon

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.