Intake manifold leaking coolant???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Default Intake manifold leaking coolant???

How do I fix this leak? I assume this is the intake manifold and a gasket is busted. It smells sweet maybe coolant idk. White smoke as soon as I start the engine. Also the cooling system (heater core/and radiator) needs flushed. Probably never been touched.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear member

The picture you posted is the exhaust manifold where the exhaust pipe bolts to it. If there is coolant leaking from an intake manifold or head gasket into a cylinder, you could have white smoke and the sweet smell of antifreeze from being burnt in the cylinder. You're probably going to have to test for compression for a blown head gasket and a vacuum test for an intake gasket leak to determine which it may be. Have you had to add antifreeze to the cooling system lately? That would also be an indication of leak.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Looks like an exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe flange to me and if you have coolant coming out the exhaust that's probably bad news,possible bad head gasket.
Check your radiator for signs of oil and check your oil for signs of coolant such as milky looking sludge.
What year model Camaro is it?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Looks like an exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe flange to me and if you have coolant coming out the exhaust that's probably bad news,possible bad head gasket.
Check your radiator for signs of oil and check your oil for signs of coolant such as milky looking sludge.
What year model Camaro is it?
Correct, exhaust manifold, idk why I said intake. Oil is good. Idk about coolant. 95 3.4l v6 hatchback.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
The picture you posted is the exhaust manifold where the exhaust pipe bolts to it. If there is coolant leaking from an intake manifold or head gasket into a cylinder, you could have white smoke and the sweet smell of antifreeze from being burnt in the cylinder. You're probably going to have to test for compression for a blown head gasket and a vacuum test for an intake gasket leak to determine which it may be. Have you had to add antifreeze to the cooling system lately? That would also be an indication of leak.
yes it was very low on coolant.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HornyOldLady
yes it was very low on coolant.
You getting white or light gray smoke out the tailpipe?
I haven't owned a V-6 but if I recall those 3.4 were prone to intake leaks and head gasket leaks.
Compression check time.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:32 AM

I haven't owned a V-6 but if I recall those 3.4 were prone to intake leaks and head gasket leaks.
Compression check time.
Yes, and where the doughnut/flange gasket is. That's where I originally noticed the smoke coming from engine bay. I just got the combustion leak detector kit. About to go test it

Old 02-06-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by HornyOldLady
Yes, and where the doughnut/flange gasket is. That's where I originally noticed the smoke coming from engine bay. I just got the combustion leak detector kit. About to go test it
Tested to see if there was combustion gases in the radiator and it came back negative. Blue liquid stayed blue. Coolant is leaking on the ground. Is it possible I have a coolant leak somewhere and its dripping on a hot pipe making the smoke? There is a little smoke coming from the exhaust pipes too but that could be because its low on coolant and oil. I haven't driven the car in about 2 months

Old 02-06-2021, 12:36 PM

Compression check time.
what is the easiest way to test for compression? It's not a blown head gasket. So would it be a leak from the intake? Or burning coolant in the intake

Old 02-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you getting any dripping coolant? A compression test is unlikely to find anything since your coolant is clean. If you did the test per instructions you pretty much eliminated the head gasket as the cause. . If you are burning coolant it almost has to be intake related. My next step would be to pressure test the coolant system. You can borrow the tool from any chain auto parts store with a loan a tool program and check out some "How to Pressure test my coolant system" videos on youtube.

One thing to keep in mind , you should constantly be checking the oil before during and after tests to look for any coolant, It will cause the oil to milkshake. If it starts do not mess around. Drain the coolant and change your oil. If you want to keep working on it put water in it. or just take to a real mechanic. The coolant reacts to the high pressure of the oil pump and chemical breaks down. One of the by products is an acid that will melt your bearings. These engines where only produced for 3 years and just for the camaro. To find one in decent shape is very difficult. IMO oil in the coolant is the number one killer of these motors.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold leaking coolant???