Intake & Exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Intake & Exhuast

***Intake***

I like the K&N Intake. The price is rediculous however ($200!)

Generic CAI for $26:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...spagenameZWDVW

Generic CAI with a K&N Filter for $40:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...spagenameZWDVW

"Full" Intake with Generic Filter for $49:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...spagenameZWDVW

And finally "Full" CAI & K&N for $79:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...spagenameZWDVW

Which way do I go? I like the idea of Full CAI & K&N.

Generic CAI don't claim as much HP as K&N Intake but I think K&N overstate their HP. I would prefer CAI anyways (I live in San Diego; not much rain here):

***Exhuast***

I definitely like the resonance and sound of good ol' Flowmaster. Does the difference in performance justify the difference in price between a Full Cat-back versus swapping out the muffler?

I want the sound hence swapping out the muffler. I don't know if I am going to notice a difference in HP by going with a cat-back however on a stock motor?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Intake & Exhuast

The top 2 intakes you posted are useless, they're getting hot air from the eingine bay, the stock filter is going to get cooler air than they do. I woudln't go with a generic filter, this is the inside of your motor we're talking about here, but I guess if you're willing to risk getting debris into the engine that's your call. If I were you I'd wait around a little to find a used K&N or Moroso intake on ebay. The generic ones you get off of ebay may have smoother bends than stock, but the actual cross-sectional area of the tube is smaller than even the stock intake. Fow has to do with lack of obstruction(internal smoothness) and cross-sectional area at any given point in the tube.

As far as exhaust goes, just swapping out the muffler will get you some power, swapping out the whole system will get you more. If you aren't planning on doing any other mods aside from intake and exhaust you're probably fine with going with just the muffler. If you plan on modding the car more (headers, internals etc) you're going to want the full 3" mandrel bent cat-back.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have to agree with you on all comments. I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

It is like when you open the fridge hoping to find food. The problem is you live at home but your mom conditioned you as a kid to open the fridge and find "goodies"; things you didn't expect to find! ha ha...

K&N filter for sure. Stock K&N set-up I saw wasn't CAI? The filter was located in the engine bay.

I will also look around for a used cat-back also. I haven't been able to find too many used bolt-on items.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
4th Gear Member

honestly ive been toldtwo outstandingterms when asking about parts. "You get what you pay for"and "Youve got to pay to play" meaning the less expensive parts arent usually the best while the more expensive ones are for the most part either really good parts or your paying for the names.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Completely agreed.

That's why I just invested $15,000 in parts on the motor in my 68' Camaro.

Now I am broke :-(

yes, I hate to admit that my 94' Z28 is my red-headed step child. Just don't let her know I said that cuz' I still love her!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
4th Gear Member

yeah, my 94 is my only car.. but im 18 and poor.. go figure lol.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: kamaro68

I would have to agree with you on all comments. I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

It is like when you open the fridge hoping to find food. The problem is you live at home but your mom conditioned you as a kid to open the fridge and find "goodies"; things you didn't expect to find! ha ha...

K&N filter for sure. Stock K&N set-up I saw wasn't CAI? The filter was located in the engine bay.

I will also look around for a used cat-back also. I haven't been able to find too many used bolt-on items.
If "stock" K&N setup you mean replacing the paper filter with a K&N then you're not going to get much. The stock air box has a small opening that I think is supposed to get the air out from behind a headlight as cold air...I'm not quite sure who designed it, but that guy should get fired for making the most retarded intake ever. The K&N intake(full intake, not just a filter) takes the same basic path as the stock air box, but it puts the filter in front of the wheel well under a splash pannel, so it gets cold air from outside, but doesn't risk getting wet.