increased MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you should be able to get to 28 at least. im gona try some heated 02 sensors and see what that does. still trying to figure out how i got 28 mpg with my first 93 and 24 with this one. thats driving the same roads before the build. now im lucky to get 20.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I bet 30 mpg can be done, as long as everything is in tune and good working order. And with a more free flowing exhaust and intake setup. I used to get 25 mpg on the highway with my old 96 Z28, and I don't drive like a granny.
i do have a 3 inch flowmaster cat back with no cat stock manifolds (but i plan on headers soon i got a turbo and all the piping out of a saab from the jyard a couple weeks ago and plan on getting that hooked up most likely this winter) and i have a CAI ive also heard (prob from you) that with a complete exhaust and the cai a tune is a good idea and deff after the turbo... btw how much boost will my engine hold

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 09-30-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by carnage9
I call bs on 30mpg, i got 25mpg when i drove like a grandma and it wasnt worth it. I saw screw it and have fun with 18mpg
I have been driving my car for well over a year. I fill it up every week and I check the mileage. I do not drive like a granny, Unless granny drives 75 MPH. The 96 Camaro is rated at 30 MPG by the EPA. If 25 is the best you can do something is wrong with your car. Due to minor upgrade the 02 Camaro is rated 31 MPG. I have a low miles 02 engine with CAI, Headers and Cat back. The intake has been gasket matched and the casting defects where removed. Everything that was done to the car was done for better mileage. I do not have the desire to hyper mile but if I did i'll bet I could hit 34-35.

I am talking 95% open highway. Two normal driving condition will bring me into the 28-29 MPG. Hot days with the AC working hard and very cold days. Other then that the car is very consistant.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-01-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
ive taken the filter out shaken it into a mason jar (pretty clean just little sand like particles and a very small amount) rigged up a hose fitting and flushed water thru the filter for about 2 hrs then put some rubbing alc. in it shook that around to dry up some of the water and let it sit in the 110+ degree SC sun for about 5 hrs to make sure there was absolute no water in it (at the time i had no job and couldnt even afford a new 10$ filter)
Ya, you really want to go a head and replace that filter ASAP. Paper filters and Alcohol do not mix well. Next time if you can blow thru it just put it back on. Only back flush with Clean gas.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
you should be able to get to 28 at least. im gona try some heated 02 sensors and see what that does. still trying to figure out how i got 28 mpg with my first 93 and 24 with this one. thats driving the same roads before the build. now im lucky to get 20.
Your fighting your cam. High HP cams are great but the cost is low RPM efficiency. This also why they have a tuff time with emission and why GM can not do what Hot Rodders do. I would not throw too much money trying to get in much better then 20. You should be happy with 20. If that was a carburated V8 you would be getting 12 at best.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
i do have a 3 inch flowmaster cat back with no cat stock manifolds (but i plan on headers soon i got a turbo and all the piping out of a saab from the jyard a couple weeks ago and plan on getting that hooked up most likely this winter) and i have a CAI ive also heard (prob from you) that with a complete exhaust and the cai a tune is a good idea and deff after the turbo... btw how much boost will my engine hold
How much boost with a stock 3.4 handle? Is it a freash engine? If you are talking a 15 year old motor thats easy. Zero. Just normaly hard driving might blow your head gasket. You should do some more research on the 3.4. I think you will find that without a upgrade to the heads the turbo is not going to do much for you beside create a ton of heat. The problem with the 3.4 heads it the exhaust port. The turbo will get more air into the cylinder but you still need to get it out. The turbo will not help with that.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Gorn
How much boost with a stock 3.4 handle? Is it a freash engine? If you are talking a 15 year old motor thats easy. Zero. Just normaly hard driving might blow your head gasket. You should do some more research on the 3.4. I think you will find that without a upgrade to the heads the turbo is not going to do much for you beside create a ton of heat. The problem with the 3.4 heads it the exhaust port. The turbo will get more air into the cylinder but you still need to get it out. The turbo will not help with that.
well the car has 110K on her and was wellllllllll taken care of i bought it off the dealer who bought it new in 94 also he never brought it out in the winter and always had it serviced by the gm techs but im thinking he never had any real problems since everythings origional i have no problem replacing the headgaskets or cleaning up the heads and intake b4 the turbo install