Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Ignition lock/cylinder problem. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/ignition-lock-cylinder-problem-60417/)

ShadowCamaro 03-25-2011 12:47 AM

Ignition lock/cylinder problem.

First off, I have to say, I've put off joining this forum for far too long.

Ok, here's the run down. I'll skip the details... long story short, my keys were ripped out of my ignition the other night :icon_flamethrow: . This caused the tumblers to bend (which I bent back with a flat blade). Also, the face of the ignition came off (the part that helps turn the cylinder).

So, after some work, I managed to get the key back in and all the tumblers (I think) depressed. Got the regular ding of the key being in, but, I can't turn the key. I tried to apply the face of the ignition while I put the key in, but no help. Part of the face is broken. Now, I'm not sure (correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't think that I would need this part to turn the key.

Like everyone else, I have things to do that require transportation :icon_urinal:. My Camaro being out of commission really puts a damper on things. So I decided to hot wire her. Success. However, there is still a problem. The wheel is still locked. You can only go so far without being able to steer. I began to take apart the steering wheel. I ran in to an issue when I couldn't get the bolt off that holds the wheel on. After about 45 minutes-an hour of force and frustration, I decided to call it a night.

To sum it up; Any ideas what's going on with my ignition?

or

Is there a way to unlock the wheel (without keys, of course and without removing the wheel itself)? Oh, and I have tried the force method to break the wheel lock gear, but it just moves the wheel about 40 degrees or so (with loud grinding/cracking noise) and locks again (tough design, I suppose).

Thanks,
James.

craby 03-25-2011 12:54 PM

i am moving this to the 4th gen section and see if that helps. im thinking your going to need a new slug for the switch. not really sure how to unlock the wheel without the keys. the old way was to drill the tumblers out but i dont think you want to do that, not with the vats stuff in there. ill do a little lookin and see what i can find.

claude1991 03-25-2011 05:20 PM

Call a mobile locksmith? At Least call them and ask if they have any ideas.

craby 03-25-2011 11:24 PM

19 Attachment(s)
what year? this is from my 93 book.
Attachment 27701
Attachment 27702
Attachment 27703
Attachment 27704
Attachment 27705
Attachment 27706 Attachment 27707

Attachment 27708 Attachment 27709

Attachment 27710 Attachment 27711

Attachment 27712 Attachment 27713

Attachment 27714 Attachment 27715

Attachment 27716 Attachment 27717

Attachment 27718 Attachment 27719

craby 03-25-2011 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 27699 Attachment 27700

ShadowCamaro 03-25-2011 11:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and the info w/pics.

I think I'm going to call a locksmith in the morning to see if they can make a key to fit the "new" config. of the damaged tumblers. Hopefully they can. I mean, its only around $50 for a new set up with keys, but I would also have to get them programed. So I'd rather a locksmith just try to make a new key for it. (Oh, and the key that's there now, isn't vats. Long story short, my camaro has an ign. for the vats key and one for a normal key. I'll spare you the details, less ya wanna know lol)

I'm about to go try to get my steering wheel off again (tired as hell from work, so doubt it'll happen).

I'll keep you posted on what I come up with, if anything.

claude1991 03-26-2011 12:09 AM

We love details, do tell, lol. I don't think you are talking about the resistor chip trick, are you?

ShadowCamaro 03-26-2011 01:33 AM

I thought someone would like to hear about it. Lol.

Ok, so I bought this car as a project for $500. 160xxx mi at time of purchase about 6 months ago (now around 186xxx mi). I didn't really know anything about the car, seeing how the previous owner "didn't know anything" about her either. I said, "Screw it, I'll take it." $500? Why not?

12 Days after a bought her, I drove more than 24 hours straight only stoping for gas, drinks, and to take a leak. Totaling around 1100 miles (Daytona to Myrtle Beach and North Carolina areas and back). She did great. Had a blast on the trip, aside from 4 encounters with different law enforcement agencies (who am I kidding? That was fun too. Lol)

Got home and started basic work. I decided to inspect wiring... Holy sh*t... At least 30-40 wires under dash that were not standard.. not to mention a second ignition (with vats). This is where I started to worry. There were also several relays and fuses wired in with the non-standard wiring.

The first thought was "...where the f*ck does that ****ole live again?!"

It took me a few hours to reroute the wires to the correct lines. Turns out someone was trying to put a remote start, push button start, remote windows, remote door locks and pops, remote trunk release, remote horn, remote lights (interior and exterior)

EPIC FAIL!

So, I removed all of the excess wiring and returned it to stock.

Check engine light, ABS INOP, and check gauges lights began working correctly after that.

However, I still have the two ignition switches. If I remove the vats key from the second (hidden) ignition, the car will not start due to the security being engaged.

I'm still not sure why two ignitions... but what ever.

It doesn't seem to harm anything.

So, for now, I still have two ignitions. One may not be working, but I can still hotwire her (which still requires the vats key in). Only problem is that the steering whell is still locked. I got the main bolt off, but I need to get the steering wheel puller from Autozone either tomorrow or sunday to get the damn thing off. I still think I'm going to call the locksmith in the morning to see if they can do anything with my damaged ign.

If not, I'm just going to continue to try to get the steering wheel off and put the vats ign. in the place of the broken one and just install a push button start (the right way, unlike the jackass that tried before). That will be ok with me because it will still require the vats key in to start.

Well, that's the just of it. There is more, but believe me, I would be talking all night. Lol.

Any comments? Haha

Massey 03-26-2011 03:29 AM

save the money on the locksmith... what you need to do is put a new lock cylinder in the column. It sounds complex but not really, Follow the instructions that Craby posted from his books.

Go to your local autopart store and buy a new lock cylinder. This will come with a dummy key. You take the key that is in your VATs system, along with the dummy key to a lock smith and have them cut you a new key with the old chip and the dummy key's pattern. Once this is installed in the column you will be able to unlock your wheel and start the car like it was ment to be started.

Massey

claude1991 03-26-2011 11:26 AM

But don't you have to be able to turn the key to get the old lock cylinder out?