ignition or fuel injectors not working occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Default ignition or fuel injectors not working occasionally

twice ive had a startup issue where i put my key in and it turns the motor over but does nothing. the fuel pump works fine. 99% of the time it fires right up but it acts like it has no power to the ignition or the fuel injectors arent firing. im kind of thinking that it could possibly be the VATS in my key not making a good connection with the leads. i could imagine that wears out over time. if i take my key out and insert it a few times it will work just fine. can someone tell me what form of trouble it causes if the key is the issue? does it still turn the motor over?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
4th Gear Member

When my key was the issue, I had 2 symptoms.

1. Turn key and nothing except the security light on the dash. It didn't even engage the starter.
2. Engine would start and run like 5 seconds and shut down just like you turned the key to the off position.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

ok so the key is fine. im thinking its possibly an ignition issue. i wouldnt have thought that because it would cause intermittent problems all the time...my issue is only during a startup. happened once when it was cold, once when it was warm. drove the car 2 hours straight a couple of times and had no issues. id rather do preventitive maintenance and fix the problem now before i get stuck on the side of the road when/if it completely goes out.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr and model car we talkin about? pick up a key on ebay and have it cut at a hardware store or the likes. u need to know the code number or the resistance on the key pod. its good to have a spare anyways.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Check that you don't have any bad fuses first.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM

i looked up the VATS system. my key is a #11. read just fine. my car is a 2000 v6 5 speed no power windows,mirrors etc. all fuses are fine. the car has 170k miles. i hate intermittent problems. very hard to diagnose. im going to get an inline spark plug checker (it fires a light everytime the plug fires). if it lights while this is happening then the only other option would be my fuel injectors not opening up. could be a computer issue then.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have u checked fuel pressure and flow? pump could be going.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Mmmmmmmm... Sounds like a fuel pump to me buddy... These cars are prone to have fuel pump problems around 150k. Mine went out on 150079 actually haha.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Any codes? If so, which?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 AM

fuel pump seems fine. relay works fine. i am keen to wait before starting a vehicle and listen to a fuel pump whiz and pressurize before i start it. if the pump was slipping then it would hessitate at full throttle but ive given it the pedal test. i also have a pressure gauge, it checks normal even when blipping the throttle from idle. its definately something with ignition. ive had a bad ICM (ignition control module) before. tomorrow i am going to do a loose wire test to the ICM by starting the vehicle and wiggling the connector to check for a corroded spot.

latest update: today it fired up just fine but when i got on an entrance ramp to the highway it instantly stalled for a split second. given what im seeing it makes me think a faulty wire connection. still its annoying that it only does it during startup really. that kinda tells me it could be a bad connection...like its fine but every now and then after it cools down a bit it may open just enough to not make contact.

has no one else had a problem similar to this? either way i paid $2000 for this camaro, no wrecks with near perfect 10 year old body and nice interior and a strong running motor so if i have to spend $100 fixing this im still happy lol. long as it lasts me a couple of years i got my moneys worth lol. great friend of mine deals with camaros exclusively and im about to rebuild a motor and have it ready just in case.

as far as codes: the service vehicle light will come on sometimes....it hasnt came on in a few days. theres no lights on the dash to indicate a problem. all lights do work because the check engine light came on from me putting cheap gas in it once. after i ran that gas out the check engine light hasnt been on since.

Last edited by cannibal440; 11-18-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: ignition or fuel injectors not working occasionally