i cant find an affordable SS in my area!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Default i cant find an affordable SS in my area!

all the SS's in my area have been sold already but are still listed on craigslist or autotrader OR are very overpriced! how do-able would it be to just buy a Z-28 and put the SS spoiler and SS hood on it? how would i obtain the forced induction and not just the exterior hood look. how much would it cost w/o shipping? (im talkin about picking it up locally) should i just save myself the hassel and keep waiting for an SS? or should i just go out and get the z28 and convert it myself. thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: i cant find an affordable SS in my area!

I would wait and pick up either a Z28 or SS. If you got a Z28 and made it look like an SS for the hood and spoiler it will be around $800-$1000, plus you'd have to pay someone to paint them and match it to the color of the car. You really should wait, these cars are only getting older and cheaper every passing day. I kinda got sick just from looking on craigslist. There are some nice looking LS1 Z28 in my area on craislist between $5,500-$8,400. Damn, I should have waited another 6 months and I could have gotten a decent Z28 for the price of my 3.8.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 AM
4th Gear Member

Affordable SS.. thats a joke.. They are sooo hard to find in good condition for a low price... its really too bad...

Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear member

True, that is. I'd say get a Z28 and put some mods on...its the same thing without the CAI, Exhaust and Spoiler. (don't ask me why i'm capitalizing that) You can add some mods and stickers, and get the same thing.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if i were you, i would wait for an ss... they are hard to find because i drove from chicago to louisville KY to get my 02 ss... i used cars.com to find my car and i think its a great site to find any car you want, i got mine for only 13000 and it only had 42000k miles on it. before i got the car i had a mechanicrun a diagnostic tomake sure the car was in good shape.great car! the z28's are nice but the ss's stand out more because they have a more sporty look to them!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

ss has a certain appeal to people just for calling it an ss. i waited til i found exactly what i wanted. i live in iowa and flew to florida to get mine and haven't looked back. what would you rather say? true ss or ss clone?

Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 PM

true... about the whole real ss or ss clone thing... my brother also said that it would be a pain to get the right paint for the spoiler and hood as well.. ill just wait till i find the one thats right for me.. thanks for the help

Old 01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Honestly an SS is just a fancy lookin Z28.. its not like back in the day when the engine was bigger and had more hp.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

when you said forced induction with the hood scoop were you referring to a supercharger or the ram air cuzram air isnt forced induction unless you reach speeds in excess of 300mph which i doubt anyone here has gone that fast on land

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 PM

meh see im a total newb haha but yeah i really like the ss hood compared to the stock z28 hood, and the spoiler =P

Quick Reply: i cant find an affordable SS in my area!