I can't even get out of my driveway.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I can't even get out of my driveway.

So, the ****ty weather has finally hit, got about 6 inches of snow and now I can't even get my car out of the driveway. It's been plowed and shoveled but there's still some packed down snow, the type that's really hard to get up. I've tried getting a running start at it, rocking it with the clutch, and even had somebody push it. I can get going sometimes but the car has an annoying habit of pulling to one side or the other and I risk losing it in the ditch. Right now there's only about 30 pounds in the back from some various **** I've got back there, would some more weight really make that much of a difference? I've toyed with the idea of pulling out with our truck but can't seem to find a decent place to hook on to. Also, for future reference, would you guys recommend backing in if I do get it out, usually seems to respond a little better going forward than in reverse in this ****.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: I can't even get out of my driveway.

Actually, the gear ratio in your trans is better in reverse for torque than forward. Unless you can start in second gear, reverse is better. You can try using some ice melt or sand in the drive way so you can get some traction.If you keep rocking it, you will eventually burn out your clutch. You can also try and jack up the rearend, put down a sheet of plywood under the tires or even 2X10's under each wheel kinda like planks. Or just wait till spring. You can always wrap a chain around the rearend (a strap would be better) just be aware of your brake lines.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Damn... look at that beautiful blue sky... gotta love the great northwest.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I got like 10 inchs of snow here in detroit. The camaro might have to sit out this winter.
I put a whole bunch of salt on the ground and finally got out the drive way. Then 2 blocks from my house I ran up someone curb because an idiot decided to run a stop sign. So now I go sliding half a block down the street hoping to not hit any trees, cars, children playing or small mammals.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

30 pounds inst going to do crap try about 200.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

dam.... i love southern cali!!!!that sucks!!cant take ur car out.I would not even wana take it out in the snow!!!period

Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have lots of snow here in MA....Shes sittin in the garage. Wont see pavement till April.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah im detroit too the snow sucks it took me like 30 min to travel 40 ft to get out of my subdivision. the posi and shift kit dont help either

Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with cbr,ive got a 95 camaro and i put 200lbs in it and it does fine.So just add some more weight and you should do alright.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, enough finally melted so between dumping the clutch and getting a good running start I got out fine now. I'm backing in now and it actually helps, less slipping. I can't wait till I eventually move down South, won't have to bother with this bull****. Thanks for the suggestions guys, sure I'll be using them in the future.