I bought a pos! 95 3.4 help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Default I bought a pos! 95 3.4 help!

Long story short.. Didnt have much cash, bought a 95 coupe for $650. Drove it like i stole it, not a single peep on the test drive. Bought it with 117,00 original miles. That story has since changed. Keep blowing transmission lines. Ive flanged ive used every different hose i can find. Blew the ecr valve. I think thats what its called. Bypassed that with riveting a piece of metal on top because i cant afford a new one, so it doesnt keep sucking air. Rpm gauge works half the time, gas gauge always lies. Engine light, abs light, both on and off. Very very bad gas mileage. 1& 2 gear only act like they want to work when i floor it. One day the car was in neutral and wanted to drive, put in in reverse and it wanted neutral and so on. Lost all oil pressure, but oil was full and not leaking. Rear end leaks, cant figure out how to put gear oil in it. Turn a corner, put my foot on the gas and the whole rear end shakes very bad. Hence the gear oil. Sunroof not working, not on track, and wont stop leaking no matter how many times it gets caulked. Very bad alignment issue. Changed tie rods, wheel bearings, rack, joints everything plus multiple alignments and the steering wheel is still cocked. Floor board is rusted out. Cant drive down the highway at more than 60. Shakes and sways. Help! I cant sell it. Ive had it on craigslist for 4 months with 3 of these problems listed and not a single call.im ready for the scrap yard unless i can figure this thing out. Oh, and my whole windshield wiper, arm and all snapped off while going down the road.and it doesnt like snow. Period. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you have a clear title, the wrecking yard will generally tow it away for free...

I can't help more than that.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

imho, the amount it will cost to repair is more than the car is worth.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM
4th Gear Member

sorry, but you bought a $650 car.

You have safety and drive-ability issues and it's going to take money to address them and frankly, more than the vehicle is worth.

If you live at home, borrow your folks car and bum rides and save your money for a newer car.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

117k isn't considered a ton of miles. Sounds like you have a car that hasn't been maintained very well by it's previous owner(s). There's a reason why you were able to pick it up for $650.
Oh, and it has a sunroof? That wasn't a factory option, so the leaks are likely due to the schlock who slapped the thing in.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Maybe she meant T-tops by sunroof? But yes the car is exactly that, a $650 car. If its your only option and you want to make it at-least bearable to drive and have some money to sink into it then i am sure the fine folks here would be willing to help address your issues one by one. Otherwise, like everyone else here said, its not really worth it unless you are going to hang onto it as a project car. I know alot of people in my local area pay around $300 a car for scrap cars. If you want to just get rid of it, I would look for something like that as at-least you would get some money back. This is why we say to always bring a knowlegeable friend or mechanic with you when you go look at a used car.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Based on your description you have a major Trans issue (described a failing transmission with mutible problems, no simple fix) No oil pressure (could be a major engine problem, it you don't do the work yourself it will be big bucks) Plus a buch of other stuff that will beat you down $100 at a time. The car needs new floors (very common with cars that need t-tops resealed). You are talking about a lot of work with no short cuts.

Several of us here could do all the work your car needs but just the price of the parts you need to buy is more then the car is worth. Not to mention labor approching 100 hours to get everything right. It is simpley not worth it. Fixing up a car that has had a rough life is more of a restoration then a repair. You are much better off finding a car that was babied it whole life that has one big thing wrong with it and fixing that.

Try to part the car out on craigs list. If you do not want to take things apart just advertise it as you remove. Make sure you keep a set of wheels so the scrap yard can pull whats left on to the flatbed. They should haul away what is left for free. If the front clip (fenders, hood, nose) is in good shap you should be able to get $400-$500 for the front clip, doors go for 150 ish, Rear bumper and lights can go $100 ish. This car is worth more in parts then as a whole.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-31-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

95 3.4 trans is rare, not sure on the ecm, there are some things on the 95 that are one year parts.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Yes it does have a sunroof. Not t tops. No it wasnt slapped in there. Thanks for the input i was looking for advice to my transmission problems and the gas mileage and oil pressure mainly. I know its costly and i can do the work myself. It is a cheap car but no i dont live with parents that can help otherwise i would just junk it. I plan on driving it till itsfixed or dead. Just looking for mechanical advice!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, the no oil pressure issue should be addressed first, for if your gauge reading is accurate, the engine will be scrap metal in no time. With zero oil pressure, your engine will sound like a cheap sewing machine......then it will lock up. With the engine running, remove the oil fill cap on a valve cover and see if you have oil flowing up into the heads. If so, you don't have zero pressure, your issue could be (fingers crossed) with the oil pressure switch on the engine being faulty.

Quick Reply: I bought a pos! 95 3.4 help!