HydroMaro project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default HydroMaro project

For years now I have been using electrolysis to clean my coins I find while metal detecting, and after seeing all the hoorah about cars running on water, I have decided to build one for my 1994 Camaro.

I understand the process of making a hydrogen generator very well, but my lack of knowledge is on the Best way of delivering the hydrogen to my LT1. Also, adjustments that might need to be made to the cars computer for best performance. I understand the computer needs to be tricked into thinking the car is running rich and not lean.

You can follow the project here: http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/fro...r-project.html

We plan to document the entire process with pictures and video for those who would like to build their own. It is said that this conversion not only increases MPG up to 45%, but also increase HP. I plan to test this by a video of my HydroMaro doing a 1/4 mile run before and after the conversion.

My question is has anyone tried building and installing a hydrogen generator in their vehicle? I'm not sure if the hydrogen will take issues with my aluminum heads? I read somewhere that hydrogen and aluminum don't get along well.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?[/align]
[/align]

Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: HydroMaro project

I've heard of someone doing the same thing with there Explorer on one of my other forums. I think his website is www.watergivesmegas.com. I haven't done any type of research on that type stuff, but it would be neat if it worked.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would be interested in seeing your results as well. I've checked out supplemental hydrogen systems, but haven't taken the jump to give it a try. Good to hear there's a guinei pig who can let us know how well (hopefully) it works. Check out this site:
http://www.conserveourfuel.com/

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Detector

For years now I have been using electrolysis to clean my coins I find while metal detecting, and after seeing all the hoorah about cars running on water, I have decided to build one for my 1994 Camaro.

I understand the process of making a hydrogen generator very well, but my lack of knowledge is on the Best way of delivering the hydrogen to my LT1. Also, adjustments that might need to be made to the cars computer for best performance. I understand the computer needs to be tricked into thinking the car is running rich and not lean.

You can follow the project here: http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/fro...r-project.html

We plan to document the entire process with pictures and video for those who would like to build their own. It is said that this conversion not only increases MPG up to 45%, but also increase HP. I plan to test this by a video of my HydroMaro doing a 1/4 mile run before and after the conversion.

My question is has anyone tried building and installing a hydrogen generator in their vehicle? I'm not sure if the hydrogen will take issues with my aluminum heads? I read somewhere that hydrogen and aluminum don't get along well.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
[/align]
[/align]

That's a valid concern. When you took chemistry in school, you probably learned (and you obviously remeber this) that every elements big goal is to become a noble gas. For hydrogen, being an unstable element (no, not just unstable in that is burns quite hot or that it would be disasterous if something went wrong), that means it will need to take a lots of electrons to do that. So, hydrgoen may not get along well with anything else in this picture.

Hence, looking on another forum yesterday, I find that someone who is trying to make one of these devices with his Ranger started experiencing corrosion within mere minutes of having his device hooked up.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Corrosion of engine parts or hydrogen generator parts?

I have seen where some people are not using Stainless steel as their electrodes. Bad idea. Copper, for example, will make a good electrode but corrodes very fast.

Here is my final project ready for testing.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default UPDATE: HydroMaro project

OK so my hydrogen generator is makin bacon. Now I need some suggestions as to where would be the best place to connect my generator to the engine. I need a port with good vacuum to the intake. Any ideas.? 1994 LT1

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
94z
1st Gear Member
Default RE: UPDATE: HydroMaro project

maybe you can get a coupler for the vacum labled thing here that turns it into 2, iv seen people do that to fix their opti sparks from getting condinsation. Only other place i could think of is directly into the 90^ elbow on the intake after the maf.

http://www.lt1intake.com/images/LT1locations1.jpg

P.S. Be sure to keep us updated on this project, its pretty interesting and if all goes well I may do it to my car as well. My main interest is what will that gas do to th insides of the engine.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: UPDATE: HydroMaro project

oh SONOFA*****!

i was going to post about this a couple days ago..... but figured us fbody guys here were a little better than the mustangs [>:]

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81546

read that. I come in on page 2.

basically, the process CANNOT make net power, you lose net power and therefore you will hurt economy. I dont care what people on the net have been saying. you look anywhere there are no actual figures. they give you the schematics, then throw an out-o-da-*** figure of MPG at you and youre hooked. Its always crap like "my buddy's cousin did this...."

I want you all to read the information in that link very carefully. I have built almost all of my academic life around this **** and Im sick of seeing people duped. The chemistry involved here is fundamentally flawed.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: AlfredB18

ORIGINAL: Detector

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
[/align]
[/align]

That's a valid concern. When you took chemistry in school, you probably learned (and you obviously remeber this) that every elements big goal is to become a noble gas. For hydrogen, being an unstable element (no, not just unstable in that is burns quite hot or that it would be disasterous if something went wrong), that means it will need to take a lots of electrons to do that. So, hydrgoen may not get along well with anything else in this picture.

Hence, looking on another forum yesterday, I find that someone who is trying to make one of these devices with his Ranger started experiencing corrosion within mere minutes of having his device hooked up.
you are almost dead wrong. hydrogen gas, H2, has a filled S shell giving each atom the configuration of helium. hydrogen, helium, lithium, and magnesium are the only elements that are likely to achieve this configuration but it is the most stable we have. actually more stable than the other noble gasses because of the size of the larger nobles. they dont miss an electron as much as helium will.

hydrogen gas is also not harmful to iron, aluminum, or pretty much any other metal. hydronium is, however (H+ or H3O, however you learned it). hydrogen gas is the reduced form of water or basically reduced H+ (the electrolysis is 2 step, first releasing oxygen, electrons are carried around the circuit from oxygen to the newly created H+ ions and they are reduced).

now, a little background on redox, anything that is fully reduced has 1 option: to be oxidized. something that is oxidized does so by REDUCING something else. rust and corosion are forms of metal oxidation, not reduction. therefore hydrogen gas will actually reverse rust (the opposite could be said for H+, but in these aparatuses the H+ never touches the motor).
there is 1 exception. sometimes H- can be made which can oxidize metals, but absoltely not from hydrogen gas or water. it is also extremely reactive, not a gas (and therefore wont enter the motor). this doesnt apply to electrolysis.

i address this briefly in the link i provided.

on one of the later pages of the link i posted, i discuss logistics. basically, a couple liters in a minute is all you can hope to make. your 5.7L lt1, spinning 2000rpm (highway speed) displaces 11400 liters in a minute. The hydrogen and oxygen gas you are making from this setup is simply vented in, so regardless of throttle position, flow restriction, whatever, the hydrogen is subject to the same forces are air (except that, of course, its running through a smaller tube than the air is, which doesnt bode well for hydrogen).
if you make 2L/min (the youtube record production being 1.78L/min which is pretty impressive) you could only hope to vent a mixture that is ~.02% that is 2 parts hydrogen per 10,000 parts air mixture. some sad news: hydrogen exists in the atmosphere at concentration around this to begin with. its trace. ur pissing in the wind.
the calculations i did in that link are for a honda 1.8L, in which at 1000rpm, well below normal driving range, you still make .1 % which is still nothing. the higher you rev the less of an effect you get because hydrogen production doesnt pick up with engine speed.

the final thing is, thank your lucky stars hydrogen production is slow. the energetics of hydrogen combustion is similar to a lean condition. very hot. the only reason we dont run our engines at 1:20 afr is because the temps of a lean burn can melt pistons. you need unburnt fuel to absorb the heat and keep your motor cool (did u guys know that gasoline is your engines primary coolant?)

so let me recap:
[ul][*]these aparatuses dont produce enough hydrogen to accomplish anything. it may look like alot, but if you are swinging a piston around a THOUSAND times per minute you best have a buttload of hydrogen, and a gallon of water sitting in ur engine bay dont cut da mustard.[*]you are told to trick your engine to think its running lean which in theory is meant to reduce fuel and use the hydrogen as a power source. in reality it does 1 thing. makes you run lean.... this is ok if you are just driving around the city. but if you get on it and put stress on that motor you will blow it up just like every wouldbe racer with a bad tune.[/ul]
read through that link i posted. let me know if you have any more questions. i probably wont convince you not to do this, just make sure to come back and post when you are replacing major engine components because you did a quarter mile pass with a 17:1 afr.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

therefore hydrogen gas will actually reverse rust (the opposite could be said for H+, but in these aparatuses the H+ never touches the motor).
This I can personally testify as being absolutely correct. I have used this process to repair rusted metal relics I find white metal detecting. My results border on spectacular. I have put iron relics in that were very badly rusted splitting and flaking only to have them come out bounded back together and the pits gone.

I have seen many claims on the Internet, that are not selling anything, that say it does work. Many videos show it being used in their cars, and again, they are not selling anything just doing what I'm doing. Testing for myself to see if it really works.

some sad news: hydrogen exists in the atmosphere at concentration around this to begin with.
Well I can say without a doubt my generator is producing far more than is in the atmosphere. I stuck a lighter to the exhaust port on my generator and got one heck of a bang. Luckily the lid must have popped up and let out most of the pressure because I felt the air hit my chest. Lesson learned and no one hurt

Quick Reply: HydroMaro project